...I believe our conservative approach needs to be modified and enlarged...I start this book where I began 15 years ago in Congress: I am a conservative of libertarian tilt, and I want the Federal government out of our pocketbooks and out of our bedrooms...we conservatives can no longer champion federalism in one area and dismiss it or not...we cannot claim the constitutional high ground in our efforts to fight the nationalization of health care and finance while demanding that Washington become entangled in gay marriage debates and ob-gyn issues.
On 30 December 2008, the guest was Zbigniew Brzezinski, Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs in the Carter Administration, and Mika Brzezinski's father:
- JOE SCARBOROUGH: You can't blame what is happening in Israel right now on the Bush administration.
- ZBIGNIEW BRZEZINSKI: Yes you can.
- SCARBOROUGH: You can't. Let's go back to 2000, Dr. Brzezinski. Bill Clinton gave Arafat and the Palestinians everything they could have wanted.
- BRZEZINSKI: You know, you have such a stunningly superficial knowledge of what went on that it's almost embarrassing to listen to you.
- SCARBOROUGH: Oh, is it?
He has been mentioned as a candidate for the 2012 Republican presidential race. CNBC’s Donny Deutsche, who is a frequent guest on the "Morning Joe" show, said “I think he does have aspirations. That is half of it: You got to want it. In this day and age, it would almost make sense for [a presidential candidate] to come from media.” Mika Brzezinski said she hears calls for him to run but believes he is committed to broadcasting.
In a May 2009 editorial, the New York Times called him a "member of the Republican attack squad." Brzezinski defended him in letter-to-the-editor response, saying he had criticized both parties,  mentioning that he was among the first reporters to criticize George W. Bush's handling of Hurricane Katrina emergency response, and that the Republican majority would collapse over economic policies.
- Joe Scarborough (2009), The Last Best Hope: Restoring Conservatism and America's Progress, Crown Forum, ISBN 9780307463692
- Joe Scarborough, Mika and Zbigniew Brzezinski: Stunningly superficial, PunditFight, 9 January 2009
- Mike Allen and Jim VandeHei (4 September 2009), "Petraeus, Scarborough eyed for '12", Politico
- "Editorial: Gov. Paterson’s Performance", New York Times, 9 May 2009
- Mika Brzezinski (14 May 2009), "Defending Joe Scarborough", New York Times