House Financial Services Committee
- 1 Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance, and Government Sponsored Enterprises
- 2 Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit
- 3 Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity
- 4 Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology
- 5 Subcommittee on International Monetary Policy and Trade
- 6 Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
In the U.S. House of Representatives, the House Financial Services Committee oversees all components of the nation’s housing and financial services sectors including banking, insurance, real estate, public and assisted housing, and securities. Organizations that it oversees include:
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Federal Reserve System
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- U.S. participation in and international development and finance agencies such as the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund.
Laws for which it the U.S. Housing Act, the Truth In Lending Act, the Housing and Community Development Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Community Reinvestment Act, and financial privacy laws.
Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance, and Government Sponsored Enterprises
This subcommittee reviews laws and programs related to the U.S. capital markets, the securities industry, the insurance industry generally (except for health care), and government-sponsored enterprises, such as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. It also oversees the Securities and Exchange Commission and self-regulatory organizations, such as the New York Stock Exchange and the NASD, that police the securities markets.
Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit
The subcommittee is responsible for all financial regulators, such as the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Federal Reserve, all matters pertaining to consumer credit including the Consumer Credit Protection Act and access to financial services, as well as the safety and soundness of the banking system.
Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity
The Housing and Community Opportunity subcommittee, led by Chairwoman Maxine Waters (CA), oversees the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and the Government National Mortgage Association. The subcommittee also handles matters related to public, affordable, and rural housing, as well as community development including Empowerment Zones, and government-sponsored insurance programs, such as the National Flood Insurance Program.