Enchilada sauce is served over beef, chicken or spinach enchiladas. There a number of different recipes. Beef broth can be added in place of water, and a few ounces of tomato sauce will diminish the heat. Alternatively, a little salsa can be added to spice it up.
Red enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons red Chile powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 c. water
- salt to taste(about 1/2 teaspoon)
- Heat shortening and flour.
- Gradually add remaining ingredients.
- Stir constantly until well blended. Cook 2 or 3 more minutes.
Green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup chopped green chili peppers (or 8-12 canned jalapeno peppers)
- 1 med. size diced onion
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cominos, cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pure garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cup tomato juice
- Saute the onions with spices and chilies until soft.
- Add tomato juice, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Pour into a blender and blend until smooth.
- When cooling in a refrigerator do not cover.