Edwin E. Witte/Bibliography
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
For a complete list of Witte's written works, see Edwin E. Witte/Works.
- The Role of the Courts in Labor Disputes, Ph.D. diss., 1927.
- The Government in Labor Disputes. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1932.
- A revision of his dissertation with four additional appendices.
- "Institutional Economics as seen by an Institutional Economist." Southern Economic Review 21 (October 1954): 131-140.
- A statement of his economic point-of-view.
- "Economics and Public Policy." American Economic Review 47 (March 1957): 12-13.
- Witte's AEA presidential address and statement of his economic point-of-view.
- The Development of the Social Security Act. Edited by Wilbur J. Cohen and Robert J. Lampman. Foreword by Frances Perkins. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1963.
- This posthumously published account was first written by Witte from his diary in 1936 following his work at the Committee on Economic Security. It thus contains a first-hand account of the day-to-day operation of the committee and the formulation of the Social Security Act. It was written for the files of the Social Science Research Council but not published until after his death.
On Social Security
- "An Historical Account of Unemployment Insurance in the Social Security Act." Law and Contemporary Problems 3, no. 1, "Unemployment Compensation" (January 1936): 157-169.
- Plus Witte's Development of the Social Security Act above.
- "Labor in Wisconsin History." The Wisconsin Magazine of History 35, No. 2 (Winter, 1951): 83-86, 137-142.
- Cohen, Wilbur J. "Edwin E. Witte (1887-1960): Father of Social Security." Industrial and Labor Relations Review 14, no.1 (October 1960): 7-9.
- Cohen was the assistant secretary of Labor in the Roosevelt Administration.
- Johnson, David B. "The 'Government Man': Edwin E. Witte of the University of Wisconsin." Wisconsin Magazine of History 82, no. 1, pp. 32-51.
- Schlabach, Theron F. Edwin E. Witte, Cautious Reformer. Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1969.
- This is the standard biography.
- "Witte of Wisconsin: Why the Economists Picked Him." Business Week, November 26, 1955, 91ff.
- A major profile of Witte.