- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Andrea, Alfred J. Encyclopedia of the Crusades. (2003).
- Asbridge, Thomas. The First Crusade: A New History: The Roots of Conflict between Christianity and Islam (2005) excerpt and text search
- France, John. Western Warfare in the Age of the Crusades, 1000-1300 (1999) online edition
- Hillenbrand, Car. The Crusades, Islamic Perspectives. (2000). excerpt and text search
- Holt, P.M. The Age of the Crusades: The Near East from the Eleventh Century to 1517. (1986).
- Housley, Norman. The Later Crusades, 1274-1580: From Lyons to Alcazar (1992) online edition
- Madden, Thomas F. The New Concise History of the Crusades. (2005).
- Phillips, Jonathan, and Martin Hoch. The Second Crusade: Scope and Consequences (2002) excerpt and text search
- Queller, Donald E., and Thomas F. Madden. The Fourth Crusade: The Conquest of Constantinople (2nd ed. 1999) excerpt and text search
- Riley-Smith, Jonathan. The Crusades: A History (2005) excerpt and text search
- Riley-Smith, Jonathan, ed. The Oxford History of the Crusades. (1995). online edition; excerpt and text search
- Riley-Smith, Jonathan, ed. The Atlas of the Crusades (1991)
- Runciman, Steven. A History of the Crusades, Volume I: The First Crusade and the Foundations of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.; Volume II: The Kingdom of Jerusalem and the Frankish East 1100-1187. and Volume III: The Kingdom of Acre and the Later Crusades (1951-53), the classic history; very hostile toward the crusaders
- Setton, Kenneth ed., A History of the Crusades. (1969-1989), the standard scholarly history in six volumes, published by the University of Wisconsin Press complete text online.
- Includes: The first hundred years (2nd ed. 1969); The later Crusades, 1189-1311 (1969); The fourteenth and fifteenth centuries (1975); The art and architecture of the crusader states (1977); The impact of the Crusades on the Near East (1985); The impact of the Crusades on Europe (1989)
- Tyerman, Christopher. God's War: A New History of the Crusades (2006)
- Abulafia, David. Frederick II: A Medieval Emperor (1988)
- Boas, Adrian J. Jerusalem in the Time of the Crusades: Society, Landscape, and Art in the Holy City under Frankish Rule (2001) online edition
- Bréhier, Louis. "Crusades," Catholic Encyclopedia (1908) vol 4. online
- Bréhier, Louis. "Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem (1099-1291)," Catholic Encyclopedia (1910) vol 8. online
- Bull, Marcus, and Norman Housley, eds. The Experience of Crusading Volume 1, Western Approaches. (2003) 323pp)
- Edbury, Peter, and Jonathan Phillips, eds. The Experience of Crusading Volume 2, Defining the Crusader Kingdom. (2003) 326pp; specialized articles by scholars
- Butler, R. Urban. "Urban II," Catholic Encyclopedia (1911) online
- Edgington, Susan B., and Sarah Lambert, eds. Gendering the Crusades. (2002) 232pp essays by scholars.
- Florean, Dana. "East Meets West: Cultural Confrontation and Exchange after the First Crusade." Language & Intercultural Communication, 2007, Vol. 7 Issue 2, pp144-151 in EBSCO
- Folda, Jaroslav. Crusader Art in the Holy Land, From the Third Crusade to the Fall of Acre (2005) excerpt and text search
- France, John. Victory in the East: A Military History of the First Crusade (1996)
- Harris, Jonathan. Byzantium and the Crusades. (2003). Pp. 276pp
- Hillenbrand, Car. The Crusades: Islamic Perspectives (1999) excerpt and text search
- James, Douglas. "Christians and the First Crusade." History Review (Dec 2005), Issue 53; online at EBSCO
- Kagay, Donald J., and L. J. Andrew Villalon, eds. Crusaders, Condottieri, and Cannon: Medieval Warfare in Societies around the Mediterranean. (2003) online edition
- Laiou, Angeliki E. ed. The Crusades from the Perspective of Byzantium and the Muslim World (2001) online edition
- Lane-Poole, Stanley. Saladin and the Fall of the Kingdom of Jerusalem (1898) full text online
- Maalouf, Amin. Crusades Through Arab Eyes (1989) excerpt and text search
- Munro, Dana Carleton. The Kingdom of the Crusaders (1936) online edition
- Peters, Edward. Christian Society and the Crusades, 1198-1229 (1971) online edition
- Powell, James M. Anatomy of a Crusade, 1213-1221, (1986) online edition
- Richard, Jean. Saint Louis: Crusader King of France (1992)
- Riley-Smith, Jonathan.The First Crusade and the Idea of Crusading. (1986).
- Smail, R. C. "Crusaders' Castles of the Twelfth Century" Cambridge Historical Journal Vol. 10, No. 2. (1951), pp. 133-149. in JSTOR
- Tyerman, Christopher. England and the Crusades, 1095-1588. (1988). 492 pp.
- Constable, Giles. "The Historiography of the Crusades" in Angeliki E. Laiou, ed. The Crusades from the Perspective of Byzantium and the Muslim World (2001); major overview of scholarship online
- Madden, Thomas F. ed. The Crusades: The Essential Readings (2002) ISBN 0-631-23023-8 284pp, articles by scholars
- Munro, Dana Carleton. "War and History,' American Historical Review 32:2 (January 1927): 219–31. On medieval histories of the crusades. online edition
- Housley, Norman, ed. Documents on the Later Crusades, 1274-1580 (1996)
- Krey, August C. The First Crusade: The Accounts of Eye-Witnesses and Participants (1958).
- Shaw, M. R. B. ed.Chronicles of the Crusades (1963) online edition
- Villehardouin, Geoffrey, and Jean de Joinville. Chronicles of the Crusades ed. by Sir Frank Marzials (2007) excerpt and text search
- Villehardouin's Conquest of Constantinople is a standard reference work on the Fourth Crusade; it is the first work in medieval French prose. Joinville's life of St. Louis is a classic description of the life and times of King Louis IX; it is written in Old French and is perhaps the best biography written in the Middle Ages.