Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Colony Theatre, at 1801 Eglinton Avenue West, in Toronto, was one of 69 theatres designed by the architectural firm Kaplan & Sprachman. It operated as a movie theatre from 1939 to 1958. It seated 834 patrons.
The theatre was purchased by the Odeon Theatres chain, in 1952, and extensively renovated.
The building was converted to office space, with the lowest of three floors housing shops. However, the original building was eventually torn down.
- ↑ Kaplan, Harold Solomon, Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada. Retrieved on 2016-02-29.
- ↑ Doug Taylor (2014). Toronto Theaters and the Golden Age of the Silver Screen. The History Press, 100-101, 114, 116. ISBN 9781626194502.
- ↑ Doug Taylor. Toronto’s old movie houses—the Colony at Eglinton and Vaughan.
- ↑ Toronto theatres & music venues, World Theatres, 2016-02-22. Retrieved on 2016-02-29. “Casino Theatre – burlesque house at 87 Queen Street West of Bay – opened 1936 as The Vaudeville Theatre – 1121 seats – was burlesque house until 1948 and then starred top recording artists...”
- ↑ John Doug Taylor. Toronto’s old movie houses—the Colony at Eglinton and Vaughan, Taylor on History, 2013-09-10. Retrieved on 2022-08-29.
- ↑ Colony Theatre – Once in the Oakwood-Vaughan Area, Toronto Journey, 2022-05-22. Retrieved on 2022-08-29.