World War II/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to World War II, or pages that link to World War II or to this page or whose text .
- War : A state of violent conflict which exists between two or more independent groups, each seeking to impose its will on the other.
- Military history : The study of armed conflict between nations or other identifiable groups, and the many components, background factors, and implications and impact of those conflicts on nations, individuals and perceptions.
- Military : The standing armed forces of a country, that are directed by the national government and are tasked with that nation's defense.
- World War II, Origins : Details of the road to World War II.
- World War II, air war : Air operations in the Second World War
- China-Burma-India theater : (CBI), fought in China, Burma and India, created by the U.S., Britain and China and operated 1942 to 1944 with Chiang Kai-shek as nominal Supreme Commander; in practice with an overall British military commander and a U.S. subcommander in China
- World War II, Europe : Add brief definition or description
- World War Two in the Pacific : The part of World War II (1937-45) fought in Asia and the Pacific Ocean between Japan and the U.S., China, Britain, Australia, and other Allies.
- World War II, Russian Front : Add brief definition or description
- World War II, Homefront : The non-military activities of the nations involved in World War II, including politics, society, culture and the economy.
- World War II, Homefront, U.S. : A description of life in the U.S. during World War II.
- The Holocaust : Nazi Germany's systematic economic exploitation, followed by killing, of European Jews and others deemed racial and ideological enemies
- Joseph Stalin : (1878 - 1953) The head of Russia's Communist ("Bolshevik") party and dictator of the Soviet Union from 1924 until his death.
- Adolf Hitler : (1889–1945) Politician in Germany; became 1921 Nazi Party leader, 1933 Reichskanzler (Chancellor), then 1934 as der Führer dictator before and during World War II.
- Charles de Gaulle : French military and political leader who died in 1970.
- Hirohito : The 124th and longest-reigning Emperor of Japan, 1926-89.
- Chiang Kai-shek : A Chinese revolutionary and Leader of the Republic of China and Kuomintang from 1928 until his death in 1975.
- Mao Zedong : (1893–1976) Former Chairman of the People's Republic of China; military theorist most associated with protracted war
- Hideki Tojo : General of the Imperial Japanese Army and Prime Minister of Japan 1941-1944; Chief of Staff (Imperial Japanese Army), (21 Feb 1944 - 18 Jul 1944); executed for war crimes in 1948 by order of the International Military Tribunal (Tokyo)
- Benito Mussolini : (1883-1945) The Fascist dictator of Italy from 1922 until 1943; as part of the Axis alliance, he led his country into war against France and Britain in 1940, and against the United States in 1941.
- Winston Churchill : (1874 -1965) WWI Colonial Secretary and First Lord of the Admiralty; Prime Minister of the United Kingdom who led Britain to victory over Nazi Germany in World War II; Nobel Prize in Literature as a historian
- Franklin D. Roosevelt : (January 30, 1882 – April 12, 1945), often called FDR, the President of the United States 1933 to 1945.
- National Socialism : The totalitarian ideology espoused by Adolf Hitler and the German Nazi Party; its program was first stated formally in 1920, drafted by Hitler, Gottfried Feder and Anton Drexler