World War II, Homefront/Bibliography
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- WWII Homefront - Collection of color photographs of the homefront during World War II
- 10 Eventful Years: 1937-1946 4 vol. Encyclopedia Britannica, 1947. Highly detailed encyclopedia of events in every country.
- Beck, Earl R. The European Home Fronts, 1939-1945 Harlan Davidson, 1993, brief
- Brandt, Karl. The reconstruction of world agriculture (1945) online edition
- Costello, John. Love, Sex, and War: Changing Values, 1939-1945 1985. US title: Virtue under Fire: How World War II Changed Our Social and Sexual Attitudes
- Dear, I.C.B., and M.R.D. Foot, eds. The Oxford Companion to World War II (1995), detailed articles on every country online in OUP
- Dower, John W. et al. eds. Wearing Propaganda: Textiles on the Home Front in Japan, Britain, and the United States, 1931–1945. (2006) 376 pp.; 400 color illustrations
- Harrison, Mark. "Resource Mobilization for World War II: The U.S.A., UK, USSR and Germany, 1938-1945". Economic History Review (1988): 171-92.
- Higonnet, Margaret R., et al., eds. Behind the Lines: Gender and the Two World Wars Yale UP, 1987. excerpt and text search
- Loyd, E. Lee, ed.; World War II in Europe, Africa, and the Americas, with General Sources: A Handbook of Literature and Research Greenwood Press. 1997. 525pp bibliographic guide
- Loyd, E. Lee, ed.; World War II in Asia and the Pacific and the War's aftermath, with General Themes: A Handbook of Literature and Research Greenwood Press, 1998
- Marwick, Arthur. War and Social Change in the Twentieth Century: A Comparative Study of Britain, France, Germany, Russia, and the United States 1974.
- Milward, Alan. War, Economy and Society 1977 covers homefront of major participants
- Noakes, Jeremy ed., The Civilian in War: The Home Front in Europe, Japan and the U.S.A. in World War II Exeter, UK: University of Exeter, 1992.
- Schultz, Theodore, ed. Food for the world (1945) online edition
- Wright, Gordon. The Ordeal of Total War (1968), covers all of Europe excerpt and text search
Australia and New Zealand
- S.J. Butlin and C.B. Schedvin, War Economy 1942–1945, Australian War Memorial, Canberra, 1997
- Darian-Smith, Kate. On the Home Front: Melbourne in Wartime, 1939-1945. Australia: Oxford UP, 1990.
- Saunders, Kay. War on the Homefront: State Intervention in Queensland, 1938-1948 (1993)
- The Home Front Volume I by Nancy M. Taylor NZ official history (1986)
- The Home Front Volume II by Nancy M. Taylor NZ official history (1986)
- Political and External Affairs by Frederick Lloyd Whitfeld (1958) NZ official history
See also Winston Churchill
- Brivati, Brian, and Harriet Jones, ed. What Difference Did the War Make? The Impact of the Second World War on British Institutions and Culture. Leicester UP; 1993.
- Calder, Angus . The People's War: Britain 1939-45 (1969)
- Corelli, Barnett. The Audit of War: The Illusion and Reality of Britain as a Great Nation. 1986.
- Hancock, W. K. and Gowing, M.M. British War Economy (1949) official history
- Hancock, W. K. Statistical Digest of the War, (1951) official history
- Marwick, Arthur. The Home Front: The British and the Second World War. 1976.
- Postan, Michael. British War Production, 1952. official history
- Rose, Sonya O. Which People's War?: National Identity and Citizenship in Wartime Britain 1939-1945 (2003)
- Titmuss, Richard M. Problems of Social Policy(1950) official history
see also William Lyon Mackenzie King
- Granatstein, J. L. Canada's War: The Politics of the Mackenzie King Government. (1975).
- Granatstein, J. L., and Desmond Morton. A Nation Forged in Fire: Canadians and the Second World War, 1939-1945 (1989)
- Granatstein, J. L. Conscription in the Second World War, 1939-1945: A study in political management (1969)
- Keshen, Jeffrey A. Saints, Sinners, and Soldiers: Canada's Second World War (2004)
- Pierson, Ruth Roach. They're Still Women After All: The Second World War and Canadian Womanhood. (1986)
- Stacey, C. P. Arms, Men and Governments: The War Policies of Canada, 1939-1945 (1970) standard survey
- Dexter, Grant. Ottawa at War: The Grant Dexter Memoranda, 1939-1945, edited and introduced by Frederick W. Gibson and Barbara Robertson, (1994) 513pp primary sources. online edition
- Pickersgill, J.W., and Donald F. Forster, The Mackenzie King Record. 4 vols. Vol. 1: 1939-1944 and Vol. 2: 1944-1945 (1960); and Vol. 3: 1945-1946 online and Vol. 4: 1946-1947 online (1970). from King's private diary
- Barrett, David, and Larry Shyu. Chinese Collaboration with Japan, 1932-1945: The Limits of Accommodation (2001) excerpt and text search
- Coble, Parks M. Chinese Capitalists in Japan's New Order: The Occupied Lower Yangzi, 1937-1945 (2003) excerpt and text search
- Eastman Lloyd. Seeds of Destruction: Nationalist China in War and Revolution, 1937- 1945. Stanford University Press, 1984
- Fairbank, John, and Albert Feuerwerker, eds., Republican China 1912-1949 in The Cambridge History of China, vol. 13, part 2. Cambridge University Press, 1986.
- Henriot, Christian, and Wen-hsin Yeh. In the Shadow of the Rising Sun: Shanghai under Japanese Occupation (2004) excerpt and text search
- Hsiung, James C. and Steven I. Levine, eds. China's Bitter Victory: The War with Japan, 1937-1945 (1992) online from Questia; also excerpt and text search
- Hsi-sheng, Ch'i. Nationalist China at War: Military Defeats and Political Collapse, 1937–1945 University of Michigan Press, 1982
- Hung, Chang-tai. War and Popular Culture: Resistance in Modern China, 1937-1945 (1994) excerpt and text search
- Footitt, Hilary, and John Simmonds. France, 1943-1945. (1988) political history of the liberation online edition
- Funk, Arthur. The politics of Torch: the Allied Landings and the Algiers Putsch (1974).
- Gildea, Robert. Marianne in Chains: Daily Life in the Heart of France During the German Occupation (2004) excerpt and text search
- Horne, Alistair. To Lose a Battle: France 1940 (1959). excerpt and text search
- Hurstfield, J. America and the French Nation, 1939-1945 (1986) online edition
- Jackson, Julian. France: The Dark Years, 1940-1944 (2003) excerpt and text search
- Paxton, Robert O. Vichy France 2nd ed. (2001) excerpt and text search
- Beck, Earl R. Under the Bombs: The German Home Front, 1942-1945 (1999) excerpt and text search
- Burleigh, Michael. The Third Reich: A New History (2000) excerpt and text search
- Hagemann, Karen and Stefanie Schüler-Springorum; Home/Front: The Military, War, and Gender in Twentieth-Century Germany Berg, 2002
- Hancock, Eleanor. "Employment in Wartime: the Experience of German Women During the Second World War." War & Society 1994 12(2): 43-68. Issn: 0729-2473
- Kaldor N. "The German War Economy". Review of Economic Studies 13 (1946): 33-52. in JSTOR
- Klemperer, Victor. I Will Bear Witness 1942-1945: A Diary of the Nazi Years (2001), memoir by partly-Jewish professor
- Koontz, Claudia. Mothers in the Fatherland: Women, the Family and Nazi Politics, 1987
- Milward, Alan. The German Economy at War 1965.
- Overy, Richard. War and Economy in the Third Reich (1994).
- Passmore, Kevin. Women, Gender and Fascism in Europe, 1919-45 (2003) excerpt and text search
- Rempel, Gerhard. Hitler's Children: The Hitler Youth and the SS, (1989) online edition
- Speer, Albert. Inside the Third Reich: Memoirs (1970), highly influential memoir. excerpt and text search
- Stibbe, Matthew. Women in the Third Reich, 2003, 208 pages
- Eby, Cecil D. Hungary at War: Civilians and Soldiers in World War II (2007)
- Absalom, R, "Italy", in J. Noakes (ed.), The Civilian in War: The Home Front in Europe, Japan and the U.S.A. in World War II. Exeter: Exęter University Press. 1992.
- Koon, Tracy. Believe, Obey, Fight: Political Socialization in Fascist Italy 1922-1943 (U North Carolina Press, 1985),
- Morgan, D. Italian Fascism, 1919-1945 (1995)
- Wilhelm, Maria de Blasio. The Other Italy: Italian Resistance in World War II. (1988). 272 pp.
- Cohen, Jerome. Japan's Economy in War and Reconstruction. University of Minnesota Press, 1949. online version
- Cook, Haruko Taya, and Theodore Cook. Japan at War: An Oral History 1992.
- Dower, John. Japan in War and Peace 1993.
- Duus, Peter, Ramon H. Myers, and Mark R. Peattie. The Japanese Wartime Empire, 1931-1945. (1996). 375p. excerpt and text search
- Duus, Peter, ed. The Cambridge History of Japan: vol 6: The Twentieth Century (1989), 836pp excerpt and text search
- Havens, Thomas R. Valley of Darkness: The Japanese People and World War II. 1978.
- Havens, Thomas R. "Women and War in Japan, 1937-1945." American Historical Review 80 (1975): 913-934. online in JSTOR
- Zhou, Wanyao. The Japanese wartime empire, 1931-1945 (1996) online at ACLS e-books
- Agoncillo Teodoro A. The Fateful Years: Japan's Adventure in the Philippines, 1941-1945. Quezon City, PI: R.P. Garcia Publishing Co., 1965. 2 vols
- Hartendorp A. V.H. The Japanese Occupation of the Philippines. Manila: Bookmark, 1967. 2 vols.
- Lear, Elmer. The Japanese Occupation of the Philippines: Leyte, 1941-1945. Southeast Asia Program, Department of Far Eastern Studies, Cornell University, 1961. 246p. emphasis on social history
- Steinberg, David J. Philippine Collaboration in World War II. University of Michigan Press, 1967. 235p.
Poland and Ukraine
- Berkhoff, Karel C. Harvest of Despair: Life and Death in Ukraine Under Nazi Rule. Harvard U. Press, 2004. 448 pp.
- Dallin, Alexander. Odessa, 1941-1944: A Case Study of Soviet Territory under Foreign Rule. Portland: Int. Specialized Book Service, 1998. 296 pp.
- Davies, Norman. Rising '44: The Battle for Warsaw (2004)
- Gross, Jan T. Polish Society under German Occupation: The Generalgouvernement, 1939-1944. Princeton UP, 1979.
- Gross, Jan T. Revolution from Abroad: The Soviet Conquest of Poland's Western Ukraine and Western Belorussia (1988).
- Gutman, Israel. Resistance: The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising (1998)
- Redlich, Shimon. Together and Apart in Brzezany: Poles, Jews, and Ukrainians, 1919-1945. Indiana U. Press, 2002. 202 pp.
- Rutherford, Phillip T. Prelude to the Final Solution: The Nazi Program for Deporting Ethnic Poles, 1939-1941, (University Press of Kansas; 2007) 328pp.
- Vallin, Jacques; Meslé, France; Adamets, Serguei; and Pyrozhkov, Serhii. "A New Estimate of Ukrainian Population Losses During the Crises of the 1930s and 1940s." Population Studies (2002) 56(3): 249-264. Issn: 0032-4728 Fulltext in Jstor. Reports life expectancy at birth fell to a level as low as ten years for females and seven for males in 1933 and plateaued around 25 for females and 15 for males in the period 1941-44.
- Barber, Bo, and Mark Harrison. The Soviet Home Front: A Social and Economic History of the USSR in World War II, Longman, 1991.
- Braithwaite, Rodric. Moscow 1941: A City and Its People at War (2006)
- Thurston, Robert W., and Bernd Bonwetsch (Eds). The People's War: Responses to World War II in the Soviet Union (2000)
- Andenaes, Johs, et al. Norway and the Second World War (ISBN 82-518-1777-3) Oslo: Johan Grundt Tanum Forlag, 1966.
- Milward, Alan S. The Fascist Economy in Norway (1972)
- Nissen, Henrik S. Scandinavia During the Second World War (1983) (ISBN 0-8166-1110-6)
- Salmon; Patrick (Ed.) Britain and Norway in the Second World War London: HMSO, 1995.