From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Addison, Paul. "Churchill, Sir Winston Leonard Spencer (1874–1965)", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, online
- Addison, Paul. Churchill: The Unexpected Hero. 2005. 320 pp.
- Best, Geoffrey. Churchill: A Study in Greatness (2003), 400pp; very well received biography
- Blake, Robert. Winston Churchill. Pocket Biographies (1997), 110 pages
- Charmley, John. Churchill, The End of Glory: A Political Biography (1993). revisionist; favors Chamberlain; says Churchill weakened Britain
- Gilbert, Martin. Churchill: A Life (1992); one volume version of 8-volume life (8900 pp); amazing detail but as Rasor complains, "no background, no context, no comment, no analysis, no judgments, no evaluation, and no insights."
- Heywood, Samantha. Churchill (2003) 162 pp, online edition
- James, Robert Rhodes. Churchill: A Study in Failure, 1900-1939 (1970), 400 pp.
- Jenkins, Roy. Churchill: A Biography (2001), 1000 pp; strong on Parliamentary roles
- Keegan, John. Winston Churchill (2002) 208 pp online excerpt
- Krockow, Christian. Churchill: Man of the Century 2000
- Manchester, William. The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill, Visions of Glory 1874-1932, 1983; vol 2 is The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill, Alone 1932-1940, 1988,; no more published
- Pelling, Henry. Winston Churchill (1974), 736pp; comprehensive biography
- Rose, Norman. Churchill: An Unruly Life (1994), full-length biography
- Wrigley, Chris. Winston Churchill: A Biographical Companion. ABC-CLIO, 2002. 367 pp.
- Addison, Paul. Churchill on the Home Front 1900-1955 (1992)
- Ball, Stuart. "Churchill and the Conservative Party," Transactions of the Royal Historical Society 6th Ser., Vol. 11 (2001), pp. 307-330 in JSTOR
- Bell, Christopher M. "Winston Churchill, Pacific Security, and the Limits of British Power, 1921-41," in John H. Maurer, ed. Churchill and Strategic Dilemmas before the World Wars (2003) pp 51-120 online edition
- Ben-Moshe, Tuvia. Churchill, Strategy and History. 1992, covers world wars online edition
- Beschloss, Michael R. The Conquerors: Roosevelt, Truman and the Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1941-1945 (2002)
- Best, Geoffrey. Churchill and War. 2005. 353 pp.
- Blake, Robert and Louis William Roger, eds. Churchill: A Major New Reassessment of His Life in Peace and War Oxford UP, 1992, 581 pp; 29 essays by scholars on specialized topicsonline edition
- Callahan, Raymond. Churchill and His Generals, (2007) 310pp
- Cannadine, David. "Churchill and the British Monarchy," Transactions of the Royal Historical Society 6th Ser., Vol. 11 (2001), pp. 249-272 in JSTOR
- Charmley, John. Churchill's Grand Alliance: The Anglo-American Special Relationship 1940-57 (1996)
- Charmley, John. "Churchill and the American Alliance," Transactions of the Royal Historical Society 6th Ser., Vol. 11 (2001), pp. 353-371 in JSTOR
- Danchev, Alex. "'Dilly-Dally', or Having the Last Word: Field Marshal Sir John Dill and Prime Minister Winston Churchill," Journal of Contemporary History Vol. 22, No. 1 (Jan., 1987), pp. 21-44 in JSTOR
- Delaney, Douglas E. "Churchill and the Mediterranean Strategy: December 1941 to January 1943." Defence Studies 2002 2(3): 1-26. Issn: 1470-2436 Fulltext: in Ebsco
- Gilbert, Martin. Churchill and America 2005. 352 pp.
- Gorodetsky, Gabriel. "The Origins of the Cold War: Stalin, Churchill and the Formation of the Grand Alliance," Russian Review Vol. 47, No. 2 (Apr., 1988), pp. 145-170 in JSTOR 7
- Jablonsky, David. "Churchill and Technology," in John H. Maurer, ed. Churchill and Strategic Dilemmas before the World Wars (2003) pp 121-158 online edition
- Keegan, John, ed. Churchill's Generals (1991) 17 essays by experts
- Kersaudy, François. Churchill and De Gaulle 1981
- Kimball, Warren. Forged in war: Churchill, Roosevelt and the Second World War (1997)
- Lambakis, Steven James. Winston Churchill, Architect of Peace: A Study of Statesmanship and the Cold War (1994) 194 pp. online edition
- Larres, Klaus. Churchill's Cold War: The Politics of Personal Diplomacy. Yale U. Press, 2002. 569 pp.
- Lawlor, Sheila. Churchill and the politics of war, 1940–1941 (1993)
- Lewin, Ronald. Churchill as warlord (1973)
- Lukacs, John. Churchill: Visionary, Statesman, Historian 2002. 202pp, interpretive essays
- Marder, Arthur. Winston is back: Churchill at the admiralty, 1939–1940 (1973)
- Massie, Robert Dreadnought: Britain, Germany and the Coming of the Great War; ch 40-41 on Churchill at Admiralty
- Maurer, John H. "The 'Ever-Present Danger': Winston Churchill's Assessment of the German Naval Challenge before the First World War" in John H. Maurer, ed. Churchill and Strategic Dilemmas before the World Wars (2003) pp 7-50 online edition
- Miner, Steven Merritt. Between Churchill and Stalin: The Soviet Union, Great Britain, and the Origins of the Grand Alliance (1988) online edition
- Parker, R. A. C. ed. Winston Churchill: studies in statesmanship (1995), scholarly studies
- Parker, R. A. C. Churchill and appeasement (2000)
- Wrigley, Chris. "Churchill and the Trade Unions," Transactions of the Royal Historical Society 6th Ser., Vol. 11 (2001), pp. 273-293 in JSTOR
- Young, John W. Winston Churchill's Last Campaign: Britain and the Cold War, 1951-5 1996 online edition
- Young, John W. "Churchill and East-West Detente," Transactions of the Royal Historical Society 6th Ser., Vol. 11 (2001), pp. 373-392 in JSTOR
- Ashley, Maurice. "Churchill and History," International Affairs Vol. 42, No. 1. (Jan., 1966), pp. 87-94. in JSTOR, Churchill as author
- Ramsden, John. Man of the Century: Winston Churchill and His Legend since 1945. Columbia U. Press, 2003. 672 pp.
- Rasor, Eugene L. Winston S. Churchill, 1874-1965: A Comprehensive Historiography and Annotated Bibliography. Greenwood Press. 2000. 710 pp. describes several thousand books and scholarly articles. online edition
- Reynolds, David. In Command of History: Churchill Fighting and Writing the Second World War. 2005. 631 pp.
- Reynolds, David. "Churchill's writing of history: appeasement, autobiography and The Gathering Storm", Transactions of the Royal Historical Society, 6th ser., 11 (2001), 221–48 online edition
- Stansky, Peter, ed. Churchill: A Profile 1973, 270 pp. essays for and against Churchill by leading scholars
- Wood, Ian S. Churchill 2000. 209pp evaluates numerous studies
- Churchill, Winston. Lord Randolph Churchill (1906) online edition
- Churchill, Winston. The World Crisis (six volumes, 1923–31), 1-vol edition (2005); on World War I. Vol. I, 1911-1914; Vol. II, 1915; Vol. III, 1916-1918 Part I; Vol. IV, 1916-1918 Part II; and Vol. V: The Aftermath.
- Churchill, Winston. The Second World War (six volumes, 1948–53); Vol. I, The Gathering Storm; Vol. II, Their Finest Hour; Vol. III, The Grand Alliance; Vol. IV, The Hinge of Fate; Vol. V, Closing the Ring; and Vol. VI, Triumph and Tragedy
- Churchill, Winston. Lord Randolph Churchill (1907) online edition, biography of his father
- Gilbert, Martin, ed. Winston S. Churchill: Companion 15 vol (14,000 pages) of Churchill and other official and unofficial documents. Part 1: I. Youth, 1874-1900, 1966, 654 pp. (2 vol); II. Young Statesman, 1901-1914, 1967, 796 pp. (3 vol); III. The Challenge of War, 1914-1916, 1971, 1024 pp. (3 vol); IV. The Stricken World, 1916-1922, 1975, 984 pp. (2 vol); Part 2: The Prophet of Truth, 1923-1939, 1977, 1195 pp. (3 vol); II. Finest Hour, 1939-1941, 1983, 1328 pp. (2 vol entitled The Churchill War Papers); III. Road to Victory, 1941-1945, 1986, 1437 pp. (not published, 4 volumes are anticipated); IV. Never Despair, 1945-1965, 1988, 1438 pp. (not published, 3 volumes anticipated, See the editor's memoir, Martin Gilbert, In Search of Churchill: A Historian's Journey, (1994).
- James, Robert Rhodes, ed. Winston S. Churchill: His Complete Speeches, 1897-1963. 8 vols. London: Chelsea, 1974, 8917 pp.
- David Coombs, Sir Winston Churchill, His life through his paintings, Pegasus, 2003
- Winston Churchill. Victory: War Speeches by the Right Hon. Winston S. Churchill, (1946) online edition
- Winston Churchill and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Roosevelt and Churchill: Their Secret Wartime Correspondence ed by Francis L. Loewenheim, Harold D. Langley and Manfred Jonas (1975) 807 pgs online edition
- Winston Churchill and Dwight D. Eisenhower. The Churchill-Eisenhower Correspondence, 1953-1955 ed by Peter G. Boyle; University of North Carolina Press, 1990 online edition
- Winston Churchill and Harry S. Truman. Defending the West: The Truman-Churchill Correspondence, 1945-1960 ed by G. W. Sand; (2004) online edition