User talk:Thierry Henri Cauchois
Welcome to the Citizendium! We hope you will contribute boldly and well. Here are pointers for a quick start. You'll probably want to know how to get started as an author. Just look at CZ:Getting Started for other helpful "startup" links, and CZ:Home for the top menu of community pages. Be sure to stay abreast of events via the Citizendium-L (broadcast) mailing list (do join!) and the blog. Please also join the workgroup mailing list(s) that concern your particular interests. You can test out editing in the sandbox if you'd like. If you need help to get going, the forums is one option. That's also where we discuss policy and proposals. You can ask any constable for help, too. Me, for instance! Just put a note on their "talk" page. Again, welcome and have fun! D. Matt Innis 00:32, 2 December 2008 (UTC)
Among other things, I'm a Military workgroup editor, and have been doing a major update of the multiple articles under the top-level article Vietnam War. I would be absolutely delighted to have review, comment, and addition by someone with a French military background, if you'd be interested.
Howard Howard C. Berkowitz 02:11, 2 December 2008 (UTC)
- Salut! Soyez le bienvenu! We don't have enough French people here.... Hayford Peirce 02:42, 2 December 2008 (UTC)
- Hi Thierry -- don't let any perceived francophobia or lack of 100% perfection in English keep you from contributing. Several years ago I wrote a number of long articles in French for the French WP (about old-time tennis players) and didn't let my somewhat sloppy French stand in the way -- I knew that sooner or later some kind soul would come along and correct my numerous errors. It will be the same here.... Hayford Peirce 23:04, 2 December 2008 (UTC)
- Well, we Americans are no more in charge either--not if we ever were. There are, incidentally, some superb things being released as old enemies come together both to understand what happened, and to heal personally.
- While I need to get back to some of the later phases where I have more expertise, I am working on Indochina and the Second World War and Indochinese revolution; Dien Bien Phu was a sub-article under the latter. At this moment, however, I am going through some of the French policymaking both in the National Assembly, and in the dynamics of the interactions more in 1946-1954 between France and the Vietnamese. The actual warfare is much less a challenge to me than the political dynamics, even into the late fifties. It's amusing, in a way, that I am rather hotly arguing some U.S. political thought with someone from the U.K.; I have no doubt that I can read a history of a debate in the National Assembly and not grasp things that were serious arguments versus dramatics. These are areas where a French reader might see things I misinterpret.
- Apropos the marine side, I do work with marine electronics, but with targets much less aggressive than mines, although I do have some experience with U.S. Navy command ad control as well. My commercial fishing friends have to keep reminding me I am dealing with shellfish, not submarines. Seriously, there is some advanced technology work in marine mine warfare, more in the measurement and signature intelligence area.Howard C. Berkowitz 23:57, 2 December 2008 (UTC)
CZ en français
Je suis abonné à une liste d'envois de CZ et je n'ai rien vu à ce propos depuis des mois. Donc, c'est probablement au point mort pour le moment.
Olier Raby 20:48, 9 December 2008 (UTC)
- Oui, je le crois. Hayford Peirce 21:09, 9 December 2008 (UTC)
Si ma mémoire est bonne, ce n'est pas le nombre de contributeurs en français qui pose problème, mais celui d'editors. CZ ne parviendrait pas à « recruter » suffisamment de spécialistes pour occuper ce rôle.
Olier Raby 12:03, 10 December 2008 (UTC)
- C'est pareil en anglais, aussi, malheureusement: il y a tres peu "d'editors". Aussi, si je comprends bien, il faudra aussi toute une administration pour une edition francaise. Il y a, bien sur, une administration pour le CZ anglais, mais c'est assez serree, pas question pour le moment d'essayer d'y construire une pour les francophones. :(Hayford Peirce 16:07, 10 December 2008 (UTC)
- Bonjour. Je ne suis au courant de rien. Cordialement.--Domergue Sumien 12:55, 10 December 2008 (UTC)
Hi. When an author creates a new article he *may* if he wants to (and can figure out how to do it) both create the metapage and *then* fill it out with various information. It really isn't very hard to do. If you *don't* want to do it yourself, just write an article with the "easy start" or "easy article" or whatever it's called and eventually someone else will do the other stuff.... Hayford Peirce 22:02, 13 December 2008 (UTC)
- Hi Thierry, I see Hayford beat me to it! Give it a shot and see what happens. D. Matt Innis 22:14, 13 December 2008 (UTC)
- They also left you some hints on my talk page! D. Matt Innis 23:41, 13 December 2008 (UTC)