United States Army Institute of Heraldry

From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
Jump to: navigation, search
The coat of arms of the United States Army Institute of heraldry is, Or a chevron gules, on a chief sable a label of the first, flanked by two banners, the dexter Or bordered company of the like and azure, charged with a mullet of the last voided argent, the sinister banner Or bordered company of the like and gules, charged with a Tudor Rose barb and seeded vert. For a crest, the institute has, On a wreath Or and Gules, a griffin rampant of the first.

The United States Army Institute of Heraldry can trace its origins to 1919 when President Woodrow Wilson directed the War Department General Staff to create an Heraldic Program Office. The initial purpose of the office was to coordinate and approve of coats of arms, heraldic devices and their insignia for United States Army organizations. By the end of World War II, its role had expanded to furnish such devices to the other military services; then in 1957, Public Law 85-263 directed the Secretary of the Army to further expand the office to provide heraldic services to all branches of the federal government.