From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Unconsciousness, or pages that link to Unconsciousness or to this page or whose text .
- Neurobehavioral manifestation : Signs and symptoms of higher cortical dysfunction caused by organic conditions. These include certain behavioral alterations and impairments of skills involved in the acquisition, processing, and utilization of knowledge or information.
- Coma : A profound state of unconsciousness associated with depressed cerebral activity from which the individual cannot be aroused.
- Persistent vegetative state : Vegetative state refers to the neurocognitive status of individuals with severe brain damage, in whom physiologic functions (sleep-wake cycles, autonomic control, and breathing) persist, but awareness (including all cognitive function and emotion) is abolished.
- Syncope : Transient loss of consciousness and postural tone caused by diminished blood flow to the brain (i.e., brain ischemia).
- Consciousness : Sense of awareness of self and of the environment.