USS Veritas (AKA-50)

From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is developed but not approved.
Main Article
Talk
Related Articles  [?]
Bibliography  [?]
External Links  [?]
Citable Version  [?]
 
This editable Main Article is under development and not meant to be cited; by editing it you can help to improve it towards a future approved, citable version. These unapproved articles are subject to a disclaimer.
USSZenobia.jpg Artemis-class AKA, similar to USS Veritas
History
Laid down: 26 April 1945
Launched: 16 June 1945
Commissioned: 19 July 1945
Decommissioned: 21 February 1946
Struck: 12 April 1946
Fate: Unknown
General Characteristics
Builder: Walsh-Kaiser Co., Inc.
Hull type: S4-SE2-BE1
Displacement: 4,087 tons light, 7,080 tons loaded
Length: 426 ft (129.8 m)
Beam: 58 ft (17.7 m)
Draft: 16 ft (4.9 m)
Propulsion: Steam turbo-electric drive; two boilers, two propellers,
6,000 shp (4.5 MW)
Speed: 16.9 knots (31.3 km/h)
Complement: 321 (20 officers, 301 men), plus 255 embarked troops
Armament: 1 × 5"/38 caliber DP gun,
4 × twin 40 mm AA guns,
16 × 20 mm AA guns
Boats: 14 LCVP,
8 LCM

USS Veritas (AKA-50) was an Artemis class attack cargo ship named after the minor planet 490 Veritas. Veritas, Latin for 'truth', was the Roman goddess of truth. She served as a commissioned ship for 7 months.

History

Veritas (AKA-50) was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1911) on 26 April 1945 at Providence, R.I., by the Walsh-Kaiser Co., Inc.; launched on 16 June 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Fred B. Smith; and commissioned on 19 July 1945, Lt. Comdr. A. S. Brooks, USNR, in command.

Into the fall of 1945, Veritas operated along the East Coast, making cargo runs which took her as far north as Boston and ranged south to Hampton Roads, Va. After loading cargo at Norfolk from 22 October to 26 October, Veritas got underway on the 26th for Bermuda and the only duty which took her away from the eastern seaboard of the United States.

The cargo vessel returned to Norfolk and transported cargo to Baltimore in December and made stops at Bayonne, N.J., and New York City before heading for Hampton Roads early in 1946. She arrived at Norfolk on 17 January 1946 and was decommissioned on 21 February 1946. Struck from the Navy list on 12 April 1946, the cargo vessel was delivered to the Maritime Commission on 29 June 1946, in whose custody she remained until disappearing from registers of American merchant shipping in 1949.

References

External links