From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Bailyn, Bernard, ed. The Debate on the Constitution: Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles, and Letters During the Struggle for Ratification. Part One: September 1787 to February 1788 (The Library of America, 1993) ISBN 0-940450-42-9
- Bailyn, Bernard, ed. The Debate on the Constitution: Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles, and Letters During the Struggle for Ratification. Part Two: January to August 1788 (The Library of America, 1993) ISBN 0-940450-64-X
- Garvey, John H. ed. Modern Constitutional Theory: A Reader 5th ed 2004; 820pp.
- Mason, Alpheus Thomas and Donald Grier Stephenson, ed. American Constitutional Law: Introductory Essays and Selected Cases (14th Edition) (2004)
- Tribe, Laurence H. American Constitutional Law (1999)
- Hall, Kermit, ed. The Oxford Companion to the Supreme Court of the United States. 1992. 1032 pp.
- Levy, Leonard W. et al., ed. Encyclopedia of the American Constitution. 5 vol; 1992; 3000 pp
- US Law Dictionary
- Amar, Akhil Reed. America's Constitution: A Biography (2005)
- Anastaplo, George, "Reflections on Constitutional Law" 2006 ISBN 0-8131-9156-4
- Beard, Charles. An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of the United States, 1913. classic study, now rejected by scholars
- Beeman, Richard R., Stephen Botein, and Edward C., Carter, II, eds., Beyond Confederation: Origins of the Constitution and American National Identity (University of North Carolina Press, 1987)
- Belz, Herman. Abraham Lincoln, Constitutionalism, and Equal Rights in the Civil War Era 1998 online edition
- Black, G. Edward. The Constitution and the New Deal.Harvard U. Press, 2000. 385 pp.
- Casey, Gregory. "The Supreme Court and Myth: An Empirical Investigation," Law & Society Review, Vol. 8, No. 3 (Spring, 1974), pp. 385–420 online in JSTOR
- Countryman, Edward, ed. What Did the Constitution Mean to Early Americans.Bedford/St. Martin's, 1999. xii + 169 pp. online review ISBN 0-312-18262-7.
- Edling, Max M. A Revolution in Favor of Government: Origins of the U.S. Constitution and the Making of the American State, 2003 online eedition
- Ely, James W., Jr. The Guardian of Every Other Right: A Constitutional History of Property Rights. 1992. 193 pp.
- Fallon, Richard H. The Dynamic Constitution: An Introduction to American Constitutional Law 2004
- Finkelman, Paul Slavery and the Founders: Race and Slavery in the Age of Jefferson (1996);
- Hoffer, Peter Charles. The Law's Conscience: Equitable Constitutionalism in America 1990. 301 pp.
- Irons, Peter. A People's History of the Supreme Court. 2000. 542 pp.
- Kammen, Michael. A Machine that Would Go of Itself: The Constitution in American Culture 1986
- Kelly, Alfred Hinsey; Harbison, Winfred Audif; Belz, Herman. The American Constitution: its origins and development (7th edition 1991)
- Kersch, Ken I. Constructing Civil Liberties: Discontinuities in the Development of American Constitutional Law. , 2004. 392 pp.
- Kyvig, David E. Explicit and Authentic Acts: Amending the U.S. Constitution, 1776–1995. U. Press of Kansas, 1996. 604 pp.
- Levin, Daniel Lessard. Representing Popular Sovereignty: The Constitution in American Political Culture. State U. of New York Press., 1999. 283 pp.
- Licht, Robert A., ed. The Framers and Fundamental Rights. American Enterprise Inst. Press, 1991. 194 pp.
- Mclaughlin, Andrew C. A Constitutional History of the United States (1936), long the standard tectbook online edition
- Powell, H. Jefferson. A Community Built on Words: The Constitution in History and Politics. U. of Chicago Press, 2002. 251 pp.
- Rakove, Jack N. Original Meanings: Politics and Ideas in the Making of the Constitution. Knopf, 1996. 455 pp.
- Sandoz, Ellis. A Government of Laws: Political Theory, Religion, and the American Founding. Louisiana State U. Press, 1990. 259 pp.
- Sheldon, Charles H. Essentials of Constitutional Law: The Supreme Court and the Fundamental Law (2001) 208 pp
- VanBurkleo, Sandra F.; Hall, Kermit L.; and Kaczorowski, Robert J., eds. Constitutionalism and American Culture: Writing the New Constitutional History. U. Press of Kansas, 2002. 464 pp.
- Mazzone, Jason. "The Creation of a Constitutional Culture," Tulsa Law Review (2005) 40#4 671+ abstract
- Smith, Jean Edward andLevine, Herbert M. Civil Liberties & Civil Rights Debated (1988)
- Wiecek, William M., "The Witch at the Christening: Slavery and the Constitution's Origins," in Leonard W. Levy and Dennis J. Mahoney, eds., The Framing and Ratification of the Constitution (1987), 178-84.
- Yarbrough, Tinsley E. The Rehnquist Court and the Constitution (2000) 324 pgs. online edition