Type 45-class/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Type 45-class, or pages that link to Type 45-class or to this page or whose text .
- Anti-air warfare : In the context of naval warfare, the mission of defending against aircraft and missiles, from platforms under naval command and control, possibly in coordination with other services and possibly defending land as well as sea areas.
- Destroyer : While the definition has evolved constantly, it is a multipurpose surface warship, generally less powerful than a cruiser, with capabilities against ship, aircraft, submarine, land, and sometimes ballistic missile targets
- Royal Navy : By long naval tradition, when there is no qualifier but "Royal", the navy being discussed is that of the United Kingdom.
- Vertical launch system : A method of launching guided missiles from warships, firing them straight up rather than using a launcher that aims them toward the target; missile guidance puts them on the path to the target
- Burke-class : Large U.S. Navy multirole destroyers equipped with AEGIS battle management system and constant upgrades; Japan has Kongo-class clones, also being upgraded to ballistic missile defense; South Korea has the KDK-class
- Ticonderoga-class : Modern U.S. Navy cruisers usually serving as carrier or amphibious escorts, but capable of independent action including long-range strike, anti-air/anti-ballistic missile/anti-satellite warfare, naval gunfire support, and antisubmarine warfare.