From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Bodley, John. Cultural Anthropology: Tribes, States, and the Global System, (4th ed. 2005), textbook
- Greenbaum, S. "In search of lost tribes: Anthropology and the federal acknowledgement process." Human Organization, 44(4), (1985). 361-367.
- McCulloch, A. M., & Wilkins, D. "Constructing nations within states: The quest for federal recognition by the Catawba and Lumbee Tribes." American Indian Quarterly, 19(3), (1995). 361-390.
- Miller, Bruce Granville. "Who Are Indigenes? A Comparative Study of Canadian and American Practices," American Behavioral Scientist, Vol. 50, No. 4, 462-477 (2006) online abstract
- Quinn, W., Jr. "Federal acknowledgement of American Indian tribes: Authority, judicial interposition, and 25 C.F.R.83." American Indian Law Review, 17(1), (1992). 37-69.
- Wilkinson, Charles. Blood Struggle: The Rise of Modern Indian Nations. (2004) excerpt and text search