Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, or pages that link to Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons or to this page or whose text .
- Counterproliferation : The set of activities that detect and monitor the threat of weapons of special concern against one's own nation and one's allies.
- Nonproliferation : An aspect of arms control that focuses on the dissemination of technology and materials from nations acknowledged to have them, to those national and non-national actors who do not.
- Nuclear weapon : A weapon that produces extremely powerful explosions from principles involving subatomic particle reactions, rather than the chemical reactions among atoms that power conventional explosives
- United Nations : An international organization that was founded in 1945 with the mission of preventing international war, protecting human rights, supporting social progress and justice, and helping with economic progress.
- Weapons of mass destruction : Weapons that cause death or injury not primarily through kinetic energy of projectiles or the detonation of conventional explosives, but rather produce large-scale effects greater than possible with the same weight of explosives weapons; by means heat, blast and radiation from nuclear weapon; poisoning by chemical weapon; infectious disease by biological weapons; or acute or chronic radiation syndromes from radiological weapons.
- International Atomic Energy Agency : An international organization established in July 1957, which seeks to promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy and to inhibit its use for military purposes.
- Chinese nuclear program : Add brief definition or description
- French nuclear program : Civilian and military nuclear programs of France, a declared nuclear weapons power
- Russian nuclear program : Add brief definition or description
- U.K. nuclear program : Add brief definition or description
- U.S. nuclear program : Add brief definition or description
- Indian nuclear program : Add brief definition or description
- Israeli nuclear program : Israel's civilian and military nuclear engineering programs
- North Korean nuclear program : Add brief definition or description
- Pakistani nuclear program : Add brief definition or description
Declaratory non-nuclear states
- Iranian nuclear program : Iran's national programs in nuclear energy, for peaceful and possible nuclear weapons purposes
- Arms control : Treaties and implementation agreements to restrict the development, production, deployment, or transfer of specified weapons or weapons technologies.
- Christopher Ford : Arms control and intelligence specialist; Director, Center for Technology and Global Security; Senior Fellow, Hudson Institute; George W. Bush Administration United States Special Representative for Nuclear Nonproliferation and Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of State, Bureau of Verification, Compliance, and Implementation
- Dual-use : Materials or equipment capable of being used either in civilian applications, or for military applications subject to counterproliferation controls, or for other sensitive uses such as the drug trade
- India : Republic in South Asia; the world's largest democracy. Borders Bangladesh, Bhutan, Burma, China, Nepal, Pakistan
- Iran : Country in the Middle East.
- Iraq War : Invasion of Iraq by a coalition of countries, led by the United States, in 2003, and subsequent occupation
- Israel : Country in the Middle East.
- Pakistan : Country in southern Asia, established as a Muslim state split from India in 1947, bordering the Arabian Sea to the south, India to the east, Iran and Afghanistan to the west, and China to the north.
- Plutonium : Man-made radioactive element (Z = 94); its 239 isotope is fissionable and used in nuclear weapons; the 240 isotope is used in some nuclear power reactors
- Uranium : A silvery-white metallic chemical element in the actinide series of the periodic table that has the symbol U and atomic number 92.
- Wassenaar Arrangement on Export Controls for Conventional Arms and Dual-Use Goods and Technologies : A voluntary international cooperation agreement to reduce the proliferation of weapons, both conventional and weapons of mass destruction