Semiconductor diode/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Semiconductor diode, or pages that link to Semiconductor diode or to this page or whose text .
- Semiconductor : A substance (usually a solid) with electrical conductivity intermediate between metals and insulators.
- Light-emitting diode or LED : Rectifying semiconductor diode that converts electric energy into electromagnetic radiation at a visible and near infrared frequencies when its pn junction is forward biased.
- Electronic band structure : The very closely spaced energy levels available to electrons in solids, which are separated from each other by energy gaps.
- Bipolar transistor : A three-terminal semiconductor device used for switching and amplification.
- MOSFET : A type of field-effect transistor with four electrical contacts and three layers: a metal top layer (connected to the gate contact),separated by an insulating layer (usually an oxide layer) from a semiconductor layer (connected to the body contact). The gate voltage switches "on" and "off" the electrical connection between a source and drain contact at the semiconductor surface.
- MOS capacitor : A two-terminal device consisting of three layers: a metal gate, a semiconducting body and a separating insulator, often an oxide.
- Schottky diode : A two-terminal electrical device consisting of conductive gate (for example, a metal) on top of a semiconductor body used for switching, rectification and photo-detection