Sam Ervin/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Sam Ervin, or pages that link to Sam Ervin or to this page or whose text .
- U.S. Senate : The upper house of the United States Congress.
- North Carolina : A state in the southeastern region of the United States
- North Carolina Supreme Court : Add brief definition or description
- Watergate scandal : Add brief definition or description
- U.S. constitutional law : Interpretation and implementation of the United States Constitution, the principal authority for which being the Supreme Court of the United States
- Civil liberties : A concept very similar to that of human rights, the concept and/or its scope often being contentious.
- Civil rights movement : In the narrow construction, the U.S. movement to end segregation, beginning with the student lunch-counter sit-ins in the 1950s and ending with the passage of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1965. In broader construction, the ongoing human rights and liberation movements for full civil rights for African Americans and other racial, ethnic, religious, gender, ability, life-style and other minorities. One of the characteristics of this latter sense is widespread disagreement on what to include in the movement (or exclude from it).
- Joe McCarthy : (1908-1957) Republican United States Senator from Wisconsin, 1946-57 who dominated the anti-communist movement in the U.S., 1950-54, until his career was ruined by censure by the Senate.