Nuclear attacks against Japan/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Nuclear attacks against Japan, or pages that link to Nuclear attacks against Japan or to this page or whose text .
- World War Two in the Pacific : The part of World War II (1937-45) fought in Asia and the Pacific Ocean between Japan and the U.S., China, Britain, Australia, and other Allies.
- Nuclear weapon : A weapon that produces extremely powerful explosions from principles involving subatomic particle reactions, rather than the chemical reactions among atoms that power conventional explosives
- Manhattan Project : Code name for the U.S. nuclear weapon development program in the World War II
- Los Alamos National Laboratory : A U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratory located in Los Alamos, New Mexico and originally the development and construction center of nuclear weapons during the Manhattan Project for use by the United States in World War II.
- Strategic air warfare against Japan : U.S. air warfare against the Japanese Home Islands in the Second World War
- Surrender of Japan : Those specific discussions and actions undertaken by senior Japanese leaders, in 1945, to consider an end to World War Two in the Pacific, and eventually to carry out the surrender
- XXIth Bomber Command : The operational field headquarters, based in the Mariana Islands and commanded by Gen. Gurtis LeMay, which conducted the main conventional and nuclear bombing of the Japanese home islands, as well as mining by aircraft; bypassed Chester W. Nimitz and Douglas MacArthur to report to the Twentieth Air Force in Washington, under Joint Chiefs of Staff control
- Hiroshima (city) : Japanese city; capital of Hiroshima prefecture in the Chugoku region of Honshu island.
- Nagasaki (city) : Capital city of Nagasaki prefecture on the Japanese island of Kyushu.
- Nuclear weapon, LITTLE BOY : Code name for the first nuclear weapon used in warfare, dropped on Hiroshima, Japan, on August 6, 1945; gun-type uranium fission; also designated Mark I
- Fat Man (nuclear weapon) : The nuclear weapon used to destroy Nagasaki, Japan and it was the first operational fission device using implosion of a plutonium core.
- Vannevar Bush : Science Adviser to Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman
- James Conant : Add brief definition or description
- Arthur Compton : Add brief definition or description
- Ralph A. Bard : Add brief definition or descriptionUnder Secretary of the Navy
- William L. Clayton : Add brief definition or description , Assistant Secretary of State
- James Byrnes : Add brief definition or description
- George C. Marshall : Army Chief of Staff (WWII), Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense (Korean War)and sponsor of the Marshall Plan.
- Henry Stimson : American lawyer, soldier, and Cabinet member.
- Leslie Groves : Major general, U.S. Army, commanding the Manhattan Project
- Ernest O. Lawrence : Add brief definition or description
- J. Robert Oppenheimer : Add brief definition or description
- Enrico Fermi : (1901-1954) Italian born nuclear physicist; designer of the first nuclear reactor.