National technical means of verification/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to National technical means of verification, or pages that link to National technical means of verification or to this page or whose text .
- Bomber aircraft : Airplanes optimized to deliver weapons to surface targets, rather than to fight other airplanes.
- Counter-proliferation : Add brief definition or description
- Intercontinental ballistic missile : A ballistic missile, carrying one or more warheads, with a range in excess of 5500 kilometers; the definition traditionally referred to land-based weapons, but some submarine-launched ballistic missiles have this capability
- Nuclear weapon : A weapon that produces extremely powerful explosions from principles involving subatomic particle reactions, rather than the chemical reactions among atoms that power conventional explosives
- Submarine-launched ballistic missile : A ballistic missile launched from a normally submerged submarine, which has multiple engineering challenges, chief among them being computing a correct ballistic trajectory from a varying point of launch (POL)
- Imagery intelligence : the practice of taking and interpreting visible and infrared light photographs and video, radar imagery, and other ways to form pictures of subjects of interest
- Electro-optical MASINT : A subdiscipline of measurement and signature intelligence (MASINT), which has similarities to but complements imagery intelligence (IMINT); it does not form images, but validates them and produces information on phenomena that emit, absorb, or reflect electromagnetic energy in the infrared, visible light, or ultraviolet spectra, where the value is knowledge of the type of energy detected
- Geophysical MASINT : A branch of measurement and signature intelligence that involves phenomena transmitted through the earth (ground, water, atmosphere) and manmade structures including emitted or reflected sounds, pressure waves, vibrations, and magnetic field or ionosphere disturbances.
- Materials MASINT : A discipline involving the measurement of signatures from the collection, processing, and analysis of gas, liquid, or solid samples; it complements technical intelligence: a technical intelligence analyst would work with a captured example of the weapon, or at least pieces of it, to come to that understanding of the propellant, while an analyst of this technique would infer the propellant through analysis of the exhaust
- Radiofrequency MASINT : Collection and processing of intelligence information derived from unintentional electromagnetic radiation from targets of interest
- Signals intelligence : the practice of acquiring information through monitoring the electromagnetic signals deliberately trasmitted by an opponent, including communications (COMINT) and non-communications electronics such as radar (ELINT).
- Defense Intelligence Agency : One of the members of the United States intelligence community, charged with providing national-level analysis specifically relevant for military needs, and being the focal point for measurement and signature intelligence c
- OC-135B Open Skies : U.S. aircraft that carry out cooperative, unarmed photoreconnaissance flights over countries participating in the Open Skies Treaty
- RC-135 COBRA BALL : A United States Air Force aircraft for collecting measurement and signature intelligence, primarily on foreign missiles. A COBRA BALL aircraft can be converted to a RC-135 RIVET JOINT.
- National Reconnaissance Office : An agency of the United States intelligence community, which designs, procures, launches, and operates intelligence satellites and certain aircraft/UAV platforms. It does not analyze their output.