National Endowment for Democracy/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to National Endowment for Democracy, or pages that link to National Endowment for Democracy or to this page or whose text .
- QUANGO : A hybrid between a fully private non-governmental organization and an organization, typically providing some sort of assistance, usually reporting to a government but sometimes to a board of "stakeholders"; They can operate within a country, be associated with single countries, or have a multinational scope.
- U.S. Democratic Party : One of the two major political parties in the United States; usually described as center-left.
- U.S. Republican Party : One of two major contemporary political parties in the United States; center-right; the elephant is its symbol.
- AFL-CIO : Single union formed in 1955 from a merger between the American Federation of Labor (AFL) and the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO).
Board of Directors
- John Bohn : Add brief definition or description
- Norm Coleman : American lawyer and Senator (R-Minnesota); board of directors, National Endownment for Democracy
- Christopher Cox : Add brief definition or description
- Rita DiMartino : Board of directors, National Endowment for Democracy; member J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board; member Council on Foreign Relations, City University of New York (CUNY) board,Hispanic Council on International Relations, National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials; delegate to multiple Republican National Convention; former Vice President of Congressional Relations for AT&T
- Kenneth Duberstein : Chairman and CEO, The Duberstein Group, Inc.; Director, Council on Foreign Relations, National Endowment for Democracy; Advisory Board, America Abroad Media; director, American Security Project; White House Chief of Staff for Ronald Reagan, 1988-1989
- Esther Dyson : Chairman of EDventure Holdings, a computer industry business group; board of directors, National Endowment for Democracy; trustee, Santa Fe Institute and Eurasia Foundation; founding chairman of Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
- Alison Fortier : member, International Security Advisory Board, United States Department of State; Vice President of Missile Defense at Lockheed Martin, Board Member of the International Republican Institute in the National Endowment for Democracy; former Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Legislative Affairs, National Security Council Staff and was Director of Congressional Affairs at the United States Arms Control and Disarmament Agency
- Patricia Friend : International President of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, AFL-CIO; board of directors, National Endowment for Democracy; U.S. Department of Transportation Rapid Response Team for Aircraft Security following 9-11 Attack; Advisory Board of Directors of Emerge America, a Democratic women's group
- Francis Fukuyama : Professor at the School of Advanced International Studies, Johns Hopkins University, author and government adviser on global development and foreign policy; in and out of neoconservatism; adjunct fellow, Hudson Institute; director, National Endowment for Democracy, New America Foundation
- William Galston : Add brief definition or description
- Suzanne Garment : President, Suzanne Garment, Inc.; board member, [[National Endowment for Democracy; From 1987 to 1997, resident scholar, American Enterprise Institute (1987-1997); associate editor of the editorial page of the Wall Street Journal (1977-1987); special assistant to Daniel Moynihan when he was U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations; taught politics and public policy at Harvard University and Yale University
- Lee Hamilton : Board member, National Endowment for Democracy; advisor, Partnership for a Secure America; President and director of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars; U.S. Representative from Indiana for 34 years, chairing the U.S. House Committee on Foreign Affairs and the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence; Vice chair of the 9-11 Commission
- Richard Holbrooke : United States diplomat, currently the U.S. special envoy to South Asia, including Afghanistan; director, National Endowment for Democracy; Director, Atlantic Council
- Mark Kirk : U.S Representative (R-Illinois); Congressional Caucus on Bosnia; Adviser, U.S. Committee for Human Rights in North Korea; U.S. Navy reserve intelligence officer with service in Afghanistan, Iraq, Haiti and Bosnia; past World Bank's International Finance Corporation in 1990; Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary for inter-American Affairs at the U.S. State Department from 1992-93
- Larry Liebenow : Add brief definition or description
- Will Marshall : Board member, National Endowment for Democracy; president and founder of the Progressive Policy Institute (PPI), a think tank associated with Bill Clinton; cofounder of Democratic Leadership Council
- Edward McElroy : Add brief definition or description
- Gregory Meeks : U.S. Representative (D-New York); House Financial Services Committee; 2002 vote against Iraq War; House Foreign Relations Committee; Dialogue Caucus; Middle East Economic Partnership Caucus; Malaysia Caucus; Congressional Services Caucus; New Democrat Coalition; Congressional Native American Caucus; 2008 90% rating from Americans for Democratic Action and 0% from American Conservative Union; Congressional Internet Caucus
- Kenneth Melman : Managing Director and Head of Global Public Affairs for Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.; board member, National Endowment for Democracy; Chairman of the Republican National Committee (2005-2006) and Campaign Manager of President George W. Bush's re-election campaign. He also served as Chief of Staff to Texas Congresswoman Kay Granger from 1996 to 1999; trustee of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Franklin and Marshall College, and the Strong American Schools Foundation; member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Moisés Naím : Board member, National Endowment for Democracy; editor and publisher of Foreign Policy (magazine); former minister of trade and industry of Venezuela; Executive Director, World Bank; director of the projects on economic reforms and on Latin America Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Michael Novak : George Frederick Jewett Chair in Religion and Public Policy, and Director of Social and Political Studies, American Enterprise Institute; board member, National Endowment for Democracy; U.S. Ambassador to the UN Human Rights Commission 1981-1982; head of the U.S. Delegation to the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, 1986.
- Carlos Pascual : Guiding Coalition, Project for National Security Reform, Vice President and Director, Foreign Policy Studies, Brookings Institution
- Paul Sarbanes : Add brief definition or description
- Judy Shelton : Add brief definition or description
- Terence Todman : Add brief definition or description
- Howard Wolpe : Add brief definition or description
- Seymour Martin Lipset : (March 18, 1922 - December 31, 2006) A leading American political scientist and sociologist.