M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System, or pages that link to M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System or to this page or whose text .
- Artillery : Crew-served military devices for propelling payloads over distance
- United States Army : Branch of the United States Armed Forces with the principal responsibility of conducting large-scale ground combat
- M26 (rocket) : A series of long-range (20mi/32 km-28mi/45km) unguided rockets fired by the M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System, carrying 518 to 644 cluster submunitions; retired due to an excessive number of submunitions failing to detonate and becoming effective minefields
- M30 (rocket) : An aerodynamically steered, rocket-propelled surface-to-surface missile, carrying cluster submunitions, fired by the M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System at greater ranges than the M109 howitzer
- XM31 (rocket) : A surface-to-surface missile using aerodynamic flight control, carrying a unitary warhead, fired from the M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System or M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System, at targets beyond the range of M109 howitzers
- MGM-140 ATACMS : A short- to medium-range ballistic missile, developed by the U.S. Army to engage high-value ground targets beyond the range of cannon, yet under the direct control of ground forces commanders; fired by the M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System
- Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System : A U.S. Army and Marine artillery fire control system that cooperates with Navy and Air Force fire control systems, as well as British, French, Italian and German artillery systems.
- Cluster munition : A military weapon, fired or dropped from another weapon, that releases smaller submunitions that cause the actual destructive effect
- Cluster submunition : Add brief definition or description
- Unitary warhead : A warhead for artillery, unguided rockets, or missiles, which is filled with a single explosive charge rather than cluster submunitions
- Unguided rocket : A form of artillery weapon that uses a rocket motor to propel a warhead at a target, using no guidance once launched
- Surface-to-surface missile : A guided missile launched from the land or water surface of the Earth, aimed at a surface target
- Operation DESERT STORM : That part of the Gulf War, beginning with the first air strikes at 02:00 local time, 17 January 1991, until the main ground assault into Kuwait, Operation DESERT SABRE