From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Internet, or pages that link to Internet or to this page or whose text .
- Computer networks : A collection of computers or digital devices ("nodes") connected by communication links.
- Computer : A machine that executes a sequence of instructions.
- Telecommunications : Add brief definition or description
- World Wide Web : A global collection of information presented in the form of documents hosted on networked computers and available to the public.
- Email system : General overview of how the Internet electronic mail system works.
- Domain Name System : The Internet service which translates to and from IP addresses and domain names.
- Internet Protocol : A protocol that is used to transmit data across an Internet Protocol Suite-compatible network, "hop-by-hop" from the source host, through intermediate routers, to the destination host
- Internet Protocol Suite : The real-world set of networking protocols, with administrative and operational conventions, which populate the real-world working Internet
- Internet Protocol version 4 : The main internetwork (also called hop-by-hop or network layer) protocol of the existing Internet and products compatible with the Internet Protocol Suite, to be replaced by Internet Protocol version 6
- Internet Protocol version 6 : The next-generation Internet Protocol, providing (among other benefits) a vastly increased address space (128bits), which should in turn provide the ability for an end-to-end Internet and allowing new models of communication to be developed.
- Gopher : Add brief definition or description
- Transmission Control Protocol : (TCP) A protocol that reliably delivers bytes across an internet. As long as the connection is up, bytes will be delivered without bit errors and in the order they were sent. It does not guarantee latency.
- User Datagram Protocol : The simplest, lowest-overhead end-to-end protocol in the Internet Protocol Suite
- Usenet : Distributed online discussion system.
- Wiki : A website that allows anyone (with registration required or not) to edit any page and to add new pages.
- Abilene : Add brief definition or description
- ARPANET : Add brief definition or description
- Computer network : A collection of computers or digital devices ("nodes") connected by communication links.
- Email : A method of composing, sending, storing, and receiving messages over electronic communication systems.
- Internet2 : Add brief definition or description
- Internet Engineering Task Force : Internet standards body that operates on a consensus-based model.
- Internet Research Task Force : Add brief definition or description
- Internet Society : Add brief definition or description
- JWICS : A military and intelligence communications system approved for classified information designated collateral TOP SECRET, as well as any information in a compartmented control system such as Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) or Special Access Program (SAP)
- NIPRNET : The common user network intended to carry U.S. military "sensitive but unclassified" traffic for military personnel, government employees, military contractors, and approved allies
- NSFNET : Add brief definition or description
- SIPRNET : The shared United States Department of Defense network that carries the bulk of classified information, limited to a security classification of SECRET.
- Warfighter Information Network–Tactical : Deployed in several increments of increasing capability, this is the partially deplyed tactical communications system for the U.S. Army, which have far more bandwidth and is becoming a mobile "on the move" self-organizing network; sometimes called the "tactical internet" Through the Army Battle Command System, it interfaces to the Global Information Grid.
- World Wide Web Consortium : Add brief definition or description
- X.25 : Add brief definition or description