From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
(Redirected from Hemodialysis)
- Dialysis can be delayed until the glomerular filtration rate is 7.0 ml per minute in the absence of other indications.
- Six times a week of hemodialysis may be better than three times a week hemodialysis .
About 1 in 12 patients who require temporary renal dialysis will eventually require chronic renal dialysis within 3 years.
The role of dialysis in nursing home residents is not clear.
- Anonymous (2019), Renal dialysis (English). Medical Subject Headings. U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- Cooper BA, Branley P, Bulfone L, Collins JF, Craig JC, Fraenkel MB et al. (2010). "A Randomized, Controlled Trial of Early versus Late Initiation of Dialysis.". N Engl J Med. DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa1000552. PMID 20581422. Research Blogging.
- FHN Trial Group. Chertow GM, Levin NW, Beck GJ, Depner TA, Eggers PW et al. (2010). "In-center hemodialysis six times per week versus three times per week.". N Engl J Med 363 (24): 2287-300. DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa1001593. PMID 21091062. Research Blogging.
- Wald R, Quinn RR, Luo J, Li P, Scales DC, Mamdani MM et al. (2009). "Chronic dialysis and death among survivors of acute kidney injury requiring dialysis.". JAMA 302 (11): 1179-85. DOI:10.1001/jama.2009.1322. PMID 19755696. Research Blogging.
- Kurella Tamura M, Covinsky KE, Chertow GM, Yaffe K, Landefeld CS, McCulloch CE (2009). "Functional Status of Elderly Adults before and after Initiation of Dialysis.". N Engl J Med 361 (16): 1539-47. DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa0904655. PMID 19828531. Research Blogging.