Falklands War/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Falklands War, or pages that link to Falklands War or to this page or whose text .
- Argentina : Second largest South American country; speaks Spanish.
- Amphibious warfare : The set of techniques, equipment, specialized units, and methods of training needed to move troops across water, and deliver them to land, ready for immediate combat.
- Anti-air warfare : In the context of naval warfare, the mission of defending against aircraft and missiles, from platforms under naval command and control, possibly in coordination with other services and possibly defending land as well as sea areas. (AAW)
- Anti-submarine warfare : (ASW) In the context of naval warfare, the mission of attacking underwater vessels, from platforms under naval command and control. (ASW)
- Anti-surface warfare : (ASuW) In the context of naval warfare, the mission of attacking surface vessels, from small boats to supertankers and aircraft carriers, from platforms under naval command and control (ASuW)
- Power projection : The capability to deploy military forces, even if limited to air and special operations, on short notice over intercontinental ranges
- Royal Navy : By long naval tradition, when there is no qualifier but "Royal", the navy being discussed is that of the United Kingdom.
- United Kingdom : Constitutional monarchy which includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Type 21-class : Add brief definition or description
- Type 22-class : Add brief definition or description
- Type 42-class : British destroyer class, optimized for anti-air warfare, some of which were sunk and some of which were a key part of the fleet defense in the Falklands War
- RFA Sir Tristram : Add brief definition or description
- RFA Sir Galahad : Add brief definition or description
- Ships Taken Up From Trade : A British practice, used extensively during the Falklands War, of chartering civilian ships to provide additional military sealift
- ARA General Belgrano : Argentinean light cruiser, ex-USS Phoenix, sunk by U.K. submarine HMS Conqueror during the Falklands War
- Ascension Island : Add brief definition or description
- Airborne early warning : A radar carried by an aircraft, to extend its effective horizon; received signals may be sent to a surface stations or sometimes to onboard staff
- Exocet : An aging French anti-shipping missile, which can be fired from land, aircraft, helicopter, submarine and ship platforms, and which has a considerable combat record
- BAE Sea Harrier : Add brief definition or description
- AIM-9 Sidewinder : The first operational heat-seeking air-to-air missile, this weapon, with five generations of improvements, has been in service for over fifty years.
- Avro Vulcan : Add brief definition or description
- Royal Marine Commando : The basic amphibious maneuver unit of the Royal Marines
- Penguin : Large-bodied flightless birds found from their southernmost range on Antarctica to north on the Galapagos Islands at the equator.