What's a greeter?
People get involved in volunteer communities like this one especially if they receive a friendly welcome and encouragement early on.
So we have set up this page for self-appointed "greeters": people who greet and encourage our new arrivals and long-absent members.
Suggestions for greeting (feel free to add to the list)
- If you see someone new on recent changes, say "Hello" on their user talk page.
- Especially for new people, look at new edits they make, and give any positive feedback: interesting topic, useful addition, well-written, impressive display of knowledge, etc. Be especially forgiving of any faux pas: everything's new for them.
- You can do this systematically. How? Just go to the user creation log, and give encouragement to all those new people!
- The more personalized you can make your message, the better. People won't be all that encouraged by a template.
- CZ is different from Wikipedia. Bear in mind that, while the community is still very open and egalitarian, some of the people who arrive might be much older and more experienced, or much younger and less experienced, than you. Taking such personal info into account in your first interaction, to be both as respectful and as friendly as possible, can make a big difference.
- Add your name here!