Black mamba/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Black mamba, or pages that link to Black mamba or to this page or whose text .
- Calciseptine : is a 60 amino acid peptide which acts as a smooth muscle relaxant and an inhibitor of cardiac contractions. It blocks K+-induced contraction in aortic smooth muscle and spontaneous contraction of uterine muscle and portal vein.
- Coastal taipan : a highly venomous snake species found in Australia and the island of New Guinea.
- Dendroaspis : a group of highly venomous snakes endemic to Africa.
- Dendrotoxins : are a class of neurotoxins produced by mamba snakes (genus Dendroaspis) that block particular subtypes of voltage-gated potassium channels in neurons, thereby enhancing the release of acetylcholine at neuromuscular junctions.
- Elapidae : A scientific family of tropical and sub-tropical venomous snakes.
- Inland taipan : a highly venomous snake species native to central Australia.
- King cobra : the largest venomous snake in the world belonging to the family Elapidae, found throughout South and Southeast Asia.
- Naja : a genus or group of highly venomous snakes found across Africa and Asia, also known as "cobras".
- Snakebite : Wound resulting from penetration of the flesh by the fangs or teeth of a snake.
- Snake venom : Highly modified toxic saliva containing hydrolithic enzymes, polypeptide complexs, nucleases, and peptidases, that is produced by special glands of certain species of snakes.