|Many thanks March 2014 donors; special to Darren Duncan. April 2014 donations open; need minimum total $100. Let's exceed that.
Donate here. Donating gifts yourself and CZ.
Battle of the Ia Drang/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Battle of the Ia Drang, or pages that link to Battle of the Ia Drang or to this page or whose text .
- Air assault : Military operations in which infantry are carried by aircraft onto, or very near, the target, or by parachuting. The aircraft may be helicopters, tilt-rotor aircraft, short-landing transports, or, historically, gliders.
- Army of the Republic of Viet Nam : A term describing both the ground force specifically, and the armed forces generally, of South Vietnam during the Vietnam War and Fall of South Vietnam
- People's Army of Viet Nam : The Communist military forces originally of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (i.e., North Vietnam), and then of the country after it was forcibly reunified in 1975.
- Military Assistance Command, Vietnam : Headquarters for most U.S. combat and support units assisting the Republic of Vietnam
- Vietnam War : A post-colonial independence/Cold War conflict between communist North Vietnam against South Vietnam, assisted by the United States (1955-1975), to unify Vietnam; won by North Vietnam in 1975.
- LZ Albany : Add brief definition or description
- LZ X-ray : An engagement between U.S. and North Vietnamese forces during the Battle of the Ia Drang, described in We were soldiers once...and young. Both sides took heavy casualties, the U.S. 1/7 Cavalry under Hal Moore and 7/66 PAVN under Nguyen Huu An
- Plei Me Special Forces Camp : Add brief definition or description
- 1st Cavalry Division : A heavy division of the United States Army, partially deployed to Baghdad; part of III Corps at Fort Hood, Texas
- Ambush : A military action of short duration, in which the side preparing it creates a tactical situation in which the enemy will move into an area where he will suffer the most damage.
- Harry Kinnard : Add brief definition or description
- Ho Chi Minh trail : A complex of roads and other facilities, from North Vietnam to South Vietnam via Laos and Cambodia, used to infiltrate military forces into the South
- Joseph Galloway : Add brief definition or description
- Lac Luong Dac Biet : Special Forces of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam; a paramilitary organization reporting to the office of President Ngo Dinh Diem before his overthrow, then a combination of a counterpart to United States Army Special Forces and a clandestine human-source intelligence and covert action organization, and eventually a pure counterpart organization.
- Stanley Larsen : Lieutenant general of the U.S. Army, who commanded II Field Force of the Military Assistance Command, Vietnam, a corps-sized unit in the Central Highlands, during the buildup of U.S. ground forces in the Vietnam War. He later commanded the Sixth United States Army in the Presidio of San Francisco.
- Chu Huy Man : A Senior General of the People's Army of Viet Nam, he was its first division commander, at the Battle of the Ia Drang. He later was a member of the Politburo of the Communist Party of Vietnam
- Harold Moore : Add brief definition or description
- Pleiku : The capital of Gia Lai Province of Vietnam; headquarters of the II Corps tactical zone during the Vietnam War
- William Westmoreland : General in the U.S. Army; Commander, U.S. Military Assistance Command, Vietnam (COMUSMACV)] 1964–1968; Chief of Staff of the Army 1968–1972.
- United States Army Special Forces : United States Army organization originally created to train and lead guerrillas, highly qualified to work with other cultures; acquired additional missions including foreign internal defense, direct action (military), special reconnaissance, counterterrorism, etc.
- Vo Nguyen Giap : The most prominent general of the Viet Minh, the People's Army of Viet Nam, and eventually Defense Minister and Politburo member of North Vietnam