Battle of the Coral Sea/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Battle of the Coral Sea, or pages that link to Battle of the Coral Sea or to this page or whose text .
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/Battle of the Coral Sea. Needs checking by a human.
- Aircraft carrier : A warship designed to launch and recover combat aircraft and aircraft that support military operations
- Battle of Britain : Those German offensive air strikes, and British defense, with which the Germans had intended to establish air supremacy for their proposed invasion of Britain
- Battle of Midway : Generally considered to be the turning point of the Pacific Theater in the Second World War, a Japanese force intending to capture Midway Island was turned back with the loss of four aircraft carriers, at the cost of one U.S. carrier; it was the last major Japanese offensive of the war
- Chester Nimitz : United States Navy fleet admiral (1885-1966) who was Commander in Chief, Pacific and Pacific Ocean Areas in World War II
- Doolittle Raid : The first U.S. offensive operation in the Pacific during the Second World War.
- Guadalcanal campaign : The first Allied offensive campaign of the Pacific theater in WWII, fought August 7, 1942 and February 9, 1943; Allied victory
- Solomon Islands : An island republic, part of the Commonwealth of Nations, in the South Pacific Ocean, southeast of Papua New Guinea and northwest of Vanuatu; scene of much fighting in the Second World War
- U.S. Navy : The branch of the United States Armed Forces charged with sea operations
- USS Eldorado (AGC-11) : A Mount McKinley class amphibious force command ship named after a mountain range in Nevada.
- World War II, Australia : Military preparations and defense of Australia proper during the Second World War, as well as opearations of Australian forces under Allied high command
- World War II, Pacific : The part of World War II (1937-45) fought in Asia and the Pacific Ocean between Japan and the U.S., China, Britain, Australia, and other Allies.
- World War II, air war : Air operations in the Second World War