From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
This is a disambiguation page for the different uses of the words base or basis in mathematics.
- In an exponential expression, the base is the quantity upon which the exponent is placed as a superscript.
- In logarithms, the base is the quantity raised to the power of the logarithm to return the given number.
- A basis is a linearly independent spanning set in linear algebra.
- A basis (or base) for a topology is a system of open sets that generate the topology.
- A filter base is a collection of sets that generates a filter.
- In algebraic geometry, there exists the notion of a Gröbner basis of an ideal.
- A uniform base is a family of relations on a set that generates a uniform space structure.