Alcmaeon of Croton/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Alcmaeon of Croton, or pages that link to Alcmaeon of Croton or to this page or whose text .
- History of biology : The study of the development of knowledge and methodology in the study of life.
- History of medicine : Add brief definition or description
- History of science : Add brief definition or description
- Ancient Greece : The loose collection of Greek-speaking city-states centered on the Aegean Sea which flourished from the end of the Mycenaean age to the Roman conquest of Greece in 146 BC.
- Pre-Socratic philosophy : Early Greek philosophers who researched and theorised about natural philosophy and cosmology.
- Anatomy : The branch of morphology given to the study of the structure of members of the biological kingdom Animalia (animals).
- Human physiology : Science of the workings of the human body and its component parts, at many levels and modes of scientific investigation and at many levels in the heirarchy of the human body’s complex and changing organization.
- Hippocrates : (c. 460 – 370 BCE) A physician, who revolutionized the practice of medicine by transforming it from its mythical, superstitious, magical and supernatural roots to a science based on observation and reason.
- Alcmaeon preceded Hippocrates in promulgating a rationalistic, "natural causes" philosophy in medicine, and Alcmaeon's writings may have influenced Hippocrates' development of a disciplined practice of medicine free of the supernatural paradigm.