Operation FORAGER/Related Articles
- See also changes related to Operation FORAGER, or pages that link to Operation FORAGER or to this page or whose text .
- World War Two in the Pacific : The part of World War II (1937-45) fought in Asia and the Pacific Ocean between Japan and the U.S., China, Britain, Australia, and other Allies.
- Mariana Islands : Add brief definition or description
- Operation FLINTLOCK : The U.S. amphibious campaign against Kwajalein Atoll in the Pacific Theater of Operations of the Second World War
- Guam : Civilian-governed U.S. territory in the geographic Mariana Islands of Micronesia but not part of the political Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands; major U.S. military base, including a prepositioning ship squadron and Anderson Air Force Base for bomber aircraft and air refueling tankers, growing with the transfer of forces from Okinawa.
- Saipan : An island in the Marianas archipelago in the western Pacific Ocean, part of the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands (CNMI); site of the WWII Battle of Saipan, which triggered the fall of the Tojo government and the beginning of the peace faction in Japan
- Battle of Saipan : Fought between 15 June 1944 and 8 July 1944, the U.S. capture of an island regarded by the Japanese as a key part of their innermost defensive line; caused the fall of the Tojo Government and its replacement with a less pro-war Prime Minister; became the first island base allowing significant attacks on Japan by B-29 long-range bombers
- Battle of the Philippine Sea : An carrier battle between the U.S. and Japan in June 1944, called the "Great Marianas Turkey Shoot" due to the extremely heavy Japanese aircraft losses, marked the end of offensive Japanese capabilities, and gave the U.S. control of the islands from which the major B-29 bomber offensive against the Japanese Home Islands could be conducted
- Tinian : Add brief definition or description
- Strategic air warfare against Japan : U.S. air warfare against the Japanese Home Islands in the Second World War
- Nuclear attacks against Japan : Preparation of the weapons and tactics used to attack Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as well as the decision to use nuclear weapons at all, and future plans had not Japan surrendered