American English/Related Articles
- See also changes related to American English, or pages that link to American English or to this page or whose text .
- British and American English : A comparison between these two language variants in terms of vocabulary, spelling and pronunciation.
- English language : A West Germanic language widely spoken in the United Kingdom, its territories and dependencies, Commonwealth countries and former colonial outposts of the British Empire; has developed the status of a global language.
- Languages of the United States of America : Add brief definition or description
- United States of America : Constitutional republic in North America, has major land borders with Mexico and Canada.
- Canadian English
- British and American English
- Varieties of English
- Noah Webster : (1758-1843) US lexicographer who compiled the American Dictionary of the English Language and wrote a widely used Speller for use in schools in the teaching of reading and writing.
- Official English movement : Campaigns in the USA which call for English to be made the only official language of the country; a common name for this is 'English Only', often used by civil liberties groups to describe the debate, but supporters usually prefer 'pro-English' or 'official English'.
- British English : Any of the spoken and written variants of the English language originating in the United Kingdom; widely used around the world, especially in current and former countries of the Commonwealth of Nations.
- Canadian English : Any of the dialects of English, standard or not, that are used in Canada.
- Commonwealth English : A blanket term for the English that developed during the British Empire separately from the United States of America.
- English phonemes : A list of abstract sound units and their various spellings.
- English spellings : Lists of English words showing pronunciation, and articles about letters.