Minnick is the only Democrat to have received an endorsement from the Tea Party movement, which his spokesman, John Foster, said he had not expected: "Being on a list with [lightning rod conservatives] Joe Wilson and Michele Bachmann is not something we are embracing. But we do appreciate that they recognize Walt's firm stance on fiscal accountability."Subsequently, he declined the endorsement because the endorsing group, Tea Party Express, had not adequately, in his opinion, disavowed the racist remarks of their expelled spokesman, Mark Williams.
The reprehensible blog post by your spokesman was clearly in poor taste. Whatever his reasons for writing it, his words reflect on all of those associated with the Tea Party movement. The proper response to his perceived slight on the issue of race was not to use inflammatory sarcasm. Rather, I would have expected your organization to instead highlight the Tea Party I know, the one with good, decent folks who care very much about the serious financial issues facing our nation and who themselves would find Mr. Williams' blog post distasteful.
Instead, the Tea Party Express has apparently decided to stand by Mr. Williams and support him in his own contention that he did nothing wrong. I cannot agree with that course of action. Since the Tea Party Express refuses to reject and rebuke Mr. Williams, I have no choice but to decline your endorsement.
Sources: Links to the voting ratings guides of the above organizations together with brief descriptive information on the organizations themselves, may be found at: http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Interest_group/Catalogs
Source: Federal Election Results - final official tally
- "Historic Wins for Idaho Republicans", KTRV-TV, Fox12 Television, Idaho, 5 November 2010
- Sam Stein (15 April 2010), "Walt Minnick Tea Party Endorsement: Minnick Campaign Accepts", Huffington Post
- Walt Minnick, "Minnick letter to Tea Party Express, in Rep. Walt Minnick, Lone Dem Endorsed By Tea Party, Rejects Endorsement", Huffington Post
- "Sarah Palin endorses three Iraq War vets for Congress", Huffington Post, 30 March 2010
- Representative Walt Minnick - official Congressional web site