Ulrich B. Phillips/Bibliography
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Georgia and State Rights; a Study of the Political History of Georgia from the Revolution to the Civil War, with Particular Regard to Federal Relations. American Historical Association Report for the Year 1901, Vol. 2. Government Printing Office, 1902, (reprint 1983) online edition
- American Negro Slavery; a Survey of the Supply, Employment, and Control of Negro Labor, as Determined by the Plantation Regime. (1918; reprint 1966)online at Project Gutenberg
- A History of Transportation in the Eastern Cotton Belt to 1860. (1908). online edition
- Life and Labor in the Old South. (1929).
- The Life of Robert Toombs. (1913).
- The Course of the South to Secession; an Interpretation. (1939).
Works edited by Phillips
- The Correspondence of Robert Toombs, Alexander H. Stephens, and Howell Cobb. Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1911, Vol. 2. Washington: 1913.
- Florida Plantation Records from the Papers of George Noble Jones. (coedited with James D. Glunt). (1927).
- Plantation and Frontier Documents, 1649-1863; Illustrative of Industrial History in the Colonial and Antebellum South: Collected from MSS. and Other Rare Sources. 2 Volumes. (1909). online vol 1 and online vol 2
Major articles by Phillips
- "Transportation in the Antebellum South: An Economic Analysis." Quarterly Journal of Economics, 19 (May, 1905): 434-58. in JSTOR
- "The Economic Cost of Slaveholding in the Cotton Belt," Political Science Quarterly 20#2 (Jun., 1905), pp. 257-275 in JSTOR
- "The Origin and Growth of the Southern Black Belts." American Historical Review, 11 (July, 1906): 798-816. in JSTOR
- "The Slave Labor Problem in the Charleston District." Political Science Quarterly, 22 (September, 1907): 416-39. in JSTOR
- "The South Carolina Federalists, Parts 1 and 2." American Historical Review, 14 (April and July, 1909): 529-43, 731-43. part 1 in JSTOR; part 2 in JSTOR
- "The Southern Whigs, 1834-1854." In Essays in American History Dedicated to Frederick Jackson Turner. (1910), pages 203-29.
- "The Decadence of the Plantation System." Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Sciences, 35 (January, 1910): 37-41. in JSTOR
- "A Jamaica Slave Plantation." American Historical Review, 19 (April, 1914): 543-48. in JSTOR
- "Slave Crime in Virginia," American Historical Review, 20#2 (Jan. 1915), pp. 336-340 in JSTOR
- "Plantations with Slave Labor and Free." American Historical Review, 30 (July, 1925): 738-53. in JSTOR
- "The Central Theme of Southern History." American Historical Review, 34 (October, 1928): 30-43. in JSTOR
- "The Traits and Contributions of Frederick Jackson Turner." Agricultural History, 19 (January, 1945): 20-35. in JSTOR
- Slave Economy of the Old South: Selected Essays in Economic and Social History (1968), edited, with introduction by Eugene Genovese
- Dillon, Merton Lynn. Ulrich Bonnell Phillips: Historian of the Old South (1985), biography
- Fogel, Robert William. The Slavery Debates, 1952-1990: A Retrospective Louisiana State University Press, 2003. ISBN 0-8071-2881-3, chapter 1.
- Genovese Eugene D. "Race and Class in Southern History: An Appraisal of the Work of Ulrich Bonnell Phillips." Agricultural History, 41 (October, 1967): 345-358.
- Genovese Eugene D. "Ulrich Bonnell Phillips & His Critics." [Introduction to] Ulrich Bonnell Phillips. American Negro Slavery: A Survey of the Supply, Employment and Control of Negro Labor as Determined by the Plantation Regime Louisiana State University Press, 1966, pages vii-xxi.
- Hofstadter Richard. "U.B. Phillips and the Plantation Legend." Journal of Negro History, 29 (April, 1944): 109-124. in JSTOR
- Kugler Ruben F. "U.B. Phillips' Use of Sources." Journal of Negro History, 47 (July, 1962): 153-168. in JSTOR
- Potter, David M. "The Work of Ulrich B. Phillips: A Comment." Agricultural History, 41 (October, 1967): 359-363.
- Pressly Thomas J. "Ulrich B. Phillips." In Americans Interpret Their Civil War Princeton University Press, 1962, pages 265-272.
- Roper John Herbert. U.B. Phillips: A Southern Mind Mercer University Press, 1984.
- Singal Daniel Joseph. "Ulrich B. Phillips: The Old South as the New." Journal of American History, 63 (March, 1977): 871-891. full text in JSTOR
- Smith John David. An Old Creed for the New South: Proslavery Ideology and Historiography, 1865-1918 Greenwood Press, 1985, Chapter 8.
- Smith, John David; and John C. Inscoe eds; Ulrich Bonnell Phillips: A Southern Historian and His Critics (1990), essays by leading scholars, pro and con
- Smith, John David. "Ulrich Bonnell Phillips (1877-1934)" in The New Georgia Encyclopedia (2003) online version
- Stampp Kenneth M. "Reconsidering U.B. Phillips: A Comment." Agricultural History, 41 (October, 1967): 365-368. *Stephenson Wendell H. "Ulrich B. Phillips: Historian of Aristocracy." in The South Lives in History: Southern Historians and Their Legacy Louisiana State University Press, 1955, pages 58-94.
- Stampp Kenneth M. "The Historian and Southern Negro Slavery." American Historical Review, 57 (April, 1952): 613-624. in JSTOR
- Tindall George B. "The Central Theme Revisited." In Charles G. Sellers Jr. , ed. The Southerner as American University of North Carolina Press, 1960, pages 104-129.
- Wish Harvey. "Ulrich B. Phillips and the Image of the Old South." in Wish, The American Historian: A Social-Intellectual History of the Writing of the American Past Oxford University Press, 1960, pp. 236-264.
- Wood Kirk. "Ulrich B. Phillips." In Clyde N. Wilson, ed. Dictionary of Literary Biography, Twentieth-Century American Historians. Gale Research, 1983, pages 350-363.
- Wood Peter H. "Phillips Upside Down: Dialectic or Equivocation?" Journal of Interdisciplinary History, 6 (Autumn, 1975): 289-297. in JSTOR
- Woodward C. Vann. "Introduction." Ulrich B. Phillips. Life and Labor in the Old South. Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 1963, pages iii-vi.