Thermal imaging/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
Thermal imaging: Electro-optical techniques, operating in the infrared spectra, which form human-recognizable images; distinguished from infrared spectrometry that measures infrared energy on a point-by-point basis in the field of view but does not form an image
This article contains just a definition and optionally other subpages (such as a list of related articles), but no metadata. if you want to expand this into a full article.
- Infrared light : In physics and engineering, a non-visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum ranging from wavelengths of 750 nm to 1 mm, between the darkest visible red and the shortest submillimeter wave radar
- Electro-optical tracking : The use of electronics, possibly in combination with mechanical positioning systems, to aim an optical system at a source of infrared, visible, or ultraviolet light, and follow it for purposes of observation or weapons guidance
- Electro-optical guided bomb : Guided bomb under man-in-the-loop control that contains a television or imaging infrared viewer, aerodynamic control surfaces and a two-way link that allows the operator to steer it into the target
- GBU-15 : 2000-pound electro-optical guided bomb with television or imaging infrared, fire-and-forget or man-in-the-loop guidance via AN/AXQ-14 data link; may use Mark 84, BLU-109 or BLU-118 warhead; the AGM-130 is an air-to-surface missile derivative
- AN/AXQ-14 : A two-way, video-to-aircraft and command-to-weapon, data link system between the main-in-the-loop operator aboard the aircraft that launches GBU-15 and AGM-130 guided weapons; pod-mounted and adaptable to a variety of aircraft
- Common Tri-Mode Seeker : (CMTS) a missile guidance subsystem that combines thermal imaging, radar and laser guidance, built by Raytheon
- Forward-looking infrared : An older term for thermal imaging systems, typically airborne, that can "see" objects by their heat emissions and difference from background, in conditions including night and fog
- LITENING : AN/AAQ-28 electro-optical target acquisition and tracking pods, which mount on aircraft wing pylons.
- Terrestrial nonimaging infrared MASINT : a subset of electro-optical MASINT and measurement and signature intelligence, which senses energy, energy differences, or energy spectra in the infrared wavelengths, using ground-based sensors
- Defense Support Program : A series of U.S. electro-optical MASINT satellites used for missile launch and nuclear burst detection