See something needing your input? Click here to Join us in providing quality, expert-guided information to the public for free!
South Korea/Catalogs/Facts and figures
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
Based on the Facts and figures provided by Korea.net, accessed on 2008-11-07.
- Country name: Republic of Korea
- Official Korean title: 대한민국 (Dae-han Min-guk), meaning 'Great Han people's nation'
- Informal references: 한국 (Han-guk), literally meaning 'Han nation'; an equivalent of 'Korea' & 남한 (Nam-han), literally meaning the 'southern Han,' an equivalent of 'South Korea'
- Capital city: Seoul
- National flag: Taegeukgi
- National flower: Mugunhwa (Rose of Sharon)
- Currency: Won (￦)
- Territory: 99,678 km2
- Climate: Temperate
- Highest mountain: Hallasan (1950 m)
- Longest rivers: Han River or Han-gang (481.7 km)
- Language: Korean, written in alphabet Hangeul
- Population: 48.46 million (2007)
- Foreign residents: 1.1 million
- Median age: 36.1 yrs
- Population increase rate: 0.33%
- Life expectancy: males - 75.7 yrs & females - 82.4 yrs (2006)
- Religion: approximately 50% of the population practices religion: Buddhism (43.0%) ; Protestantism (34.5%) ; Catholicism (20.6%)
- Political system: a democratic republic; division of power among the executive, legislative, and the judiciary
- President: Park Geun-hye
- Suffrage: universal at age 19 (western equivalent of 18)
- Presidential: every 5 yrs
- National assembly: every 4 yrs
- Local councils: every 4 yrs
- Political parties: Grand National Party; United Democratic Party; Liberal Forward Party; Democratic Labor Party; Pro-Park Geun-hye Alliance; Renewal of Korea Party
- AID: in 2006, $455 million in Official Developmental Aid (ODA)
- GDP: $969.9 billion (2007)
- Per Capita GNI: $20,045
- GDP Growth Rate: 5% (2007)
- Foreign Exchange Reserves: $262.2 billion
- Exports: $371.5 billion (2007)
- Imports: $356.8 billion
- FTA's: Chile, Singapore, European Free Trade Association, Association of Southeast Asian Nations, and USA.