From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Nutrition : The study of foods and nutrients and their effects on health, growth and development of any individual.
- Deficiency disease : Add brief definition or description
- Vitamin C : Required by a few mammalian species, including humans and higher primates. It is water-soluble and is usually obtained by eating fruits and vegetables; associated with scurvy (hence its chemical name, ascorbic acid).
- Anemia : A condition characterized by insufficient circulating and effective hemoglobin in blood to support normal physiology.
- James Lind : (1716–1794) Scottish physician and pioneer of naval hygiene, whose recommendation that fresh citrus fruit and lemon juice be added to the diet of sailors saw scurvy eliminated from the British Navy.