Samuel Eliot Morison/Bibliography
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
The introduction to the history was written by Commodore Dudley W. Knox, USN, Retired, and in a preface to the first volume, the Secretary of the Navy had made it clear that the author, not the Navy, is responsible for the work. He was assisted from time to time by various Naval Reserve officers and others who had active war service. On 1 March 1963, the International Balzan Foundation announced that Admiral Morison was winner of its cultural prize ($51,750) for his 15-volume history and other maritime research.
- I. The Battle of the Atlantic, September 1939 – May 1943, (1947)
- II. Operations in North African Waters, October 1942 – June 1943, (1946)
- III. The Rising Sun in the Pacific, 1931 – April 1942, (Bancroft Prize), (1948)
- IV. Coral Sea, Midway and Submarine Actions, May 1942 – Aug 1942, (1949)
- V. The Struggle for Guadalcanal, August 1942 – February 1943, (1949)
- VI. Breaking the Bismarcks Barrier, 22 July 1942 – 1 May 1944, (1950)
- VII. Aleutians, Gilberts and Marshalls, June 1942 – April 1944, (1951)
- VIII. New Guinea and the Marianas, March 1944 – August 1944, (1953)
- IX. Sicily—Salerno—Anzio, January 1943 – June 1944, (1954)
- X. The Atlantic Battle Won, May 1943 - May 1945, (1954)
- XI. The Invasion of France and Germany, 1944 - 1945, (1955)
- XII. Leyte, June 1944 – January 1945, (1956)
- XIII. The Liberation of the Philippines, 1944 - 1945, (1959)
- XIV. Victory in the Pacific, 1945, (1960)
- XV. Supplement and General Index, (1962)
Little, Brown & Company, also published Morison’s Strategy and Compromise in 1958, and The Two Ocean War in 1963, a one-volume history of the US Navy in World War II.
- Life of Harrison Gray Otis (1913)
- Maritime History of Massachusetts (1921)
- Oxford History of the United States (1927)
- Builders of the Bay Colony (1930)
- Tercentennial History of Harvard Universityv (awarded Jusserand Medal and Loubat prize, 1930-36); *Growth of the American Republic (with Henry Steele Commager) (1937- in its 5th edition, 1962)
- Portuguese Voyages to America (1940)
- Admiral of the Ocean Sea'' (1942) (awarded Pulitzer Prize for biography)
- Oxford History of the American People (1965)
- By Land and By Sea (1953)
- Spring Tides (1965)
- “Old Bruin”, A Biography of Commodore Matthew C. Perry (1967).
- Biography of John Paul Jones (1960)(Pulitzer Prize for Biography)
He was editor of The American Neptune and The New England Quarterly and brought out a new edition of William Bradford’s History of Plymouth Plantation (1952).