From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- "The Tariff Issue on the Eve of the Civil War," The American Historical Review Vol. 44, No. 1 (Oct., 1938), pp. 50-55 full text in JSTOR
- "William Graham Sumner, Social Darwinist," The New England Quarterly> Vol. 14, No. 3 (Sep., 1941), pp. 457-477 online at JSTOR
- "Parrington and the Jeffersonian Tradition," Journal of the History of Ideas Vol. 2, No. 4 (Oct., 1941), pp. 391-400 JSTOR
- "William Leggett, Spokesman of Jacksonian Democracy," Political Science Quarterly Vol. 58, No. 4 (Dec., 1943), pp. 581-594 JSTOR
- "U. B. Phillips and The Plantation Legend," The Journal of Negro History Vol. 29, No. 2 (Apr., 1944), pp. 109-124 JSTOR
- Social Darwinism in American Thought, 1860-1915 (University of Pennsylvania Press, 1944); 1992 edition with preface by Eric Foner
- The American Political Tradition and the Men Who Made It (Knopf, 1948). online at ACLS E-books
- "Beard and the Constitution: The History of an Idea," American Quarterly Vol. 2, No. 3 (Autumn, 1950), pp. 195-213 JSTOR
- The Age of Reform: from Bryan to F.D.R (Knopf, 1955). online at ACLS e-books
- The Development of Academic Freedom in the United States (Columbia University Press, 1955). (with Walter P. Metzger)
- The United States: the History of a Republic (Prentice-Hall, 1957), college textbook; several editions; coauthored with Daniel Aaron and William Miller
- Anti-intellectualism in American life (Knopf, 1963).
- The Progressive Movement, 1900-1915 (Prentice-Hall, 1963). edited excerpts
- The Paranoid Style in American Politics, and Other Essays (Knopf, 1965).
- includes "The Paranoid Style in American Politics" Harper's Magazine (1964)
- The Progressive Historians: Turner, Beard, Parrington (Knopf, 1968).
- The Idea of a Party System: The Rise of Legitimate Opposition in the United States, 1780-1840 (University of California Press, 1969).
- American Violence: A Documentary History. co-edited with Mike Wallace, (1970)
- America in 1750: A Social Portrait (1971) online at ACLS E-books
- Elkins, Stanley, and Eric L. McKitrick, eds. The Hofstadter Aegis: A Memorial. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1974.
- Includes: "Richard Hofstadter: A Progress," pp 300-367, which is an excellent introduction to his life and work.
- Brown, David S. Richard Hofstadter: An Intellectual Biography 2006.
- The major scholarly biography.
- Foner, Eric. "The Education of Richard Hofstadter." The Nation May 4, 1992, 597+.
- Howe, Daniel Walker, and Peter Elliott Finn. "Richard Hofstadter: The Ironies of an American Historian," The Pacific Historical Review 43, No. 1 (February 1974): 1-23.
- Pole, Jack. "Richard Hofstadter," in Clio's Favorites: Leading Historians of the United States, 1945-2000, edited by Robert Allen Rutland, 68-83. University of Missouri Press, 2000.
- Singal, Daniel J. "Beyond Consensus: Richard Hofstadter and American Historiography." American Historical Review 89 (October 1984): 976-1004.
- White, Richard. "A Commemoration and a Historical Mediation." The Journal of American History 94, no. 4 (March 2008): 1073-81.
- A harshly negative appraisal.
- Wiener, Jon. "America, Through A Glass Darkly," The Nation, October 5, 2006.
- Brinkley, Alan. "Richard Hofstadter's the Age of Reform: A Reconsideration," Reviews in American History 13, No. 3 (September 1985): 462-480.
- Claussen, Dane S. Anti-Intellectualism in American Media. (2004).
- Greenberg, David. "Richard Hofstadter's Tradition." The Atlantic 282, No. 5, November 1998, 132-137.
- Scheiber, Harry N. "Review: A Keen Sense of History and the Need to Act: Reflections on Richard Hofstadter and the American Political Tradition." Reviews in American History 2, No. 3 (September 1974): 445-452.