Refrigerator car/External Links
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner and consider archiving the URLs behind the links you provide. See also related web sources.
- Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe Railway #21335 — photo and short history of a steel-sheathed "billboard" car.
- "Coast to Coast: The Journey of a Carload of Oranges From California to New York City Aboard a Santa Fe Refrigerator Car in October of 1947" — article by Richard Hendrickson.
- Fruit Growers Express Company #35832— photos and short history of an example of the wooden ice-type "reefers" commonly placed in service between 1920 and 1940.
- Fruit Growers Express Company #56415 — photos and short history of an example of the wooden ice-type "reefers" used in the first half of the 20th century for shipping produce.
- Pacific Fruit Express Company #11207 — photo and short history of one of the last ice-type refrigerator cars built.
- Pacific Fruit Express Company #68428 — photo of a wooden ice-type "reefer" on display at the Illinois Railroad Museum.
- Pacific Fruit Express Company #300010 — photo and short history of one of the first mechanical-type refrigerator cars built.
- Pennsylvania Railroad #2553 — photo of an R50B Express Refrigerator car at the Steam Era Freight Car Gallery - Head End Equipment.
- Reefer Operations on Model Railroads with an emphasis on the ATSF — article by the Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society.
- Various Steam Era refrigerator cars — photos at the Steam Era Freight Car Gallery - Refrigerator Cars.