Paleoanthropology in South Africa/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Paleoanthropology in South Africa, or pages that link to Paleoanthropology in South Africa or to this page or whose text .
- Anthropology : The holistic study of humankind; from the Greek words anthropos ("human") and logia ("study").
- Australopithecus africanus sites : The five places a fossil species of hominin endemic to South Africa have been found.
- Australopithecus africanus : A species of early hominin.
- See Paleoanthropology in South Africa/Catalogs/Fossil sites for more details:
- Sterkfontein Cave : Add brief definition or description
- Gladysvale Cave : A fossil-bearing breccia-filled cave located about 13km Northeast of the well known South African hominid-bearing sites of Sterkfontein and Swartkrans and about 45km North-Northwest of the City of Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Makapansgat Cave : Add brief definition or description
- Coopers Cave : Add brief definition or description
- Gondolin Cave : Fossil-bearing breccia filled cavity located in South Africa.
- Swartkrans Cave : A fossil hominin-bearinig cave situated approximately 1km to the west-northwest of the well known fossil site of Sterkfontein in the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site.
- Kromdraai Cave : A fossil-bearing breccia filled cave located about 2km east of the well known South African hominid-bearing site of Sterkfontein and about 45km Northwest of the City of Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Drimolen Cave : Add brief definition or description
- Fossil hominin species : Twenty recognized species of extinct hominin, found as prehistoric skeletal remains which are archeologically earlier than Neolithic.
- Hominin : Primates in the Tribe Hominini which is a relatively recent classification under which it is proposed would fall all of the fossil and living bipedal apes including the Australopithecines, fossil members of the genus Homo and living humans. It is generally replacing the term hominid in the scientific literature.
- Hominid : A reduction of the term Hominidae that refers to all of the fossil and living bipedal apes including the Australopithecines, fossil members of the genus Homo and living humans.
- Primate : A member of the biological order Primates, which includes prosimians (galagos, lorises, lemurs and tarsiers), monkeys, apes, and humans.
- East African fossil sites : Add brief definition or description