From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Adamson, Ian. The Identity of Ulster, 2nd edition (Belfast, 1987)
- Augusteign, Joost, ed., The Irish revolution, 1913–1923 (Basingstoke, 2002)
- Bardon, Jonathan. A History of Ulster (Belfast, 1992.)
- Bew, Paul, Peter Gibbon and Henry Patterson, Northern Ireland 1921-1994: Political Forces and Social Classes (1995)
- Brady, Claran, Mary O'Dowd and Brian Walker, eds. Ulster: An Illustrated History (1989)
- Brady, Ciaran, ed. The Encyclopedia of Ireland: An A-Z Guide to Its People, Places, History, and Culture. Oxford U. Press, 2000. 390 pp.
- Connolly, S. J. ed. The Oxford Companion to Irish History (1998) online edition
- Cunliffe, Barry et al., ed. The Penguin Atlas of British and Irish History. 320 pp.
- Donnelly, James S., ed. Encyclopedia of Irish History and Culture. Macmillan Reference USA, 2004. 1084 pp.
- Edwards, Ruth Dudley. An Atlas of Irish History. 2d ed. Methuen, 1981. 286 pp.
- Elliott, Marianne. The Catholics of Ulster: A History. Basic Books. 2001. online edition
- Farrell, Michael. Northern Ireland: The Orange State, 2nd edition (London, 1980)
- Graham, B. J. and L. J. Proudfoot, eds. An Historical Geography of Ireland(1993)
- Hart, Peter. The two Irelands, 1912–1939 (1998)
- Henessy, Thomas. A History of Northern Ireland, 1920-1996. 1998. 365 pp.
- Lalor, Brian. (ed), The Encyclopedia of Ireland (Gill & Macmillan, 2003) (ISBN 9780717130009)
- Ruckenstein, Lelia and O'Malley, James A. Everything Irish: The History, Literature, Art, Music, People, and Places of Ireland from A-Z. Ballantine, 2003. 496 pp.
- Boyce, D. G. and Alan O'Day, eds. The making of modern Irish history: revisionism and the revisionist controversy (1996) * Foster, Roy, ed. The Irish story: telling tales and making it up in Ireland (2001)
- Bradshaw, Brendan. "Nationalism and historical scholarship in modern Ireland", Irish Historical Studies, 26 (1989), pp. 329–51 at pp. 340–1.
- Brady, Ciaran, ed. Interpreting Irish history: the debate on historical revisionism, 1938–1994 (Dublin, 1994)
- Curtis, L. P. "The greening of Irish history", Eire/Ireland, 29 (1994), pp. 7–28.
- Foster, Roy. "Something to hate: intimate enmities in Irish history", Irish Review, 30 (2003), pp. 1–12.
- Regan, John M. "Southern Irish Nationalism as a Historical Problem," The Historical Journal (2007), 50: 197-223 online at CJO
- Townshend, Charles. "Historiography: the telling of the Irish revolution", in Joost Augusteign, ed., The Irish revolution, 1913–1923 (Basingstoke, 2002)