Many thanks September donors. October donations open to all users. - Donate here
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
< New Deal
The Sequence of New Deal Legislation
- (For an annotated list of New Deal measures, see the New Deal Addendum subpage [])
- March 4
- Inauguration Day. Franklin Delano Roosevelt becomes President of the United States.
- March 5
- The President proclaims four-day Bank Holiday with the suspension of banking transactions and gold and currency exports.
- March 9
- Hundred Days Congressional session begins.
- Congress passes the Emergency Banking Act.
- March 15
- Congress passes the Economy Act
- March 31
- Congress passes the Reforestation Relief Act, (establishing the Civilian Conservation Corps).
- April 19
- The President announces US departure from the gold standard.
- May 12
- Congress passes the Emergency Farm Mortgage Act.
- Congress passes the Federal Emergency Relief Act.
- The President signs the Agricultural Adjustment Act.
- May 18
- Congress establishes the Tennessee Valley Authority.
- May 27
- Congress passes the Federal Securities Act.
- June 6
- Congress passes the National Employment System Act.
- June 13
- Congress passes the Home Owners Refinancing Act.
- June 16
- The end of the Hundred Days session.
- Congress passes the National Industrial Recovery Act, (setting up the National Recovery Administration), the Farm Credit Act, and the Banking Act of 1933.
- August 5
- The President orders, the setting up of the National Labor Board .
- November 8
- The President orders the creation of the Civil Works Administration.
- January 3
- Congress passes the Gold Reserve Act
- January 31
- The President orders dollar/gold rate of $35/ounce
- The President signs the Farm Mortgage Refinancing Act.
- February 2
- The President orders the setting up of the Import-Export Bank of Washington.
- February 15
- Congress passes the Civil Works Emergency Relief Administration.
- February 23
- Congress passes the Crop Loan Act.
- April 7
- Congress passes the Farm Relief Act.
- April 21
- Congress passes the Cotton Control Act.
- June 6
- Congress passes the Securities Exchange Act.
- June 7
- Congress passes the Corporate Bankruptcy Act.
- June 12
- Congress passes the Farm Mortgage Foreclosure Act and the Reciprocal Trade Agreements Act.
- June 19
- Congress passes the Silver Purchase Act, and establishes the National Labor Relations Board (replacing the National Labor Board).
- June 28
- Congress passes the National Housing Act (establishing the Federal Housing Administration), the Tobacco Control Act, and the Federal Farm Bankruptcy Act.
- April 8
- Congress passes the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act.
- May 1
- The President establishes the Resettlement Administration.
- May 11
- The President establishes the Rural Electrification Administration.
- May 27
- The Supreme Court rules that the National Industrial Recovery Act is unconstitutional.
- July 5
- The President signs the National Labor Relations Act.
- August 14
- The President signs the Social Security Act.
- August 23
- Congress passes the revising Banking Act of 1935.
- August 26
- The President signs the Public Utilities Act.
- August 30
- Congress passes the Revenue Act.
- January 6
- The Supreme Court rules that the Agricultural Adjustment Act is unconstitutional.
- March 20
- The President appoints the Committee on Administrative Management.
- February 16
- The President signs the second Agricultural Adjustment Act