From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
Famous marine biologists
- Jakob Johan Adolf Appellöf (1857-1921), Swedish marine zoologist.
- Joseph Ayers, marine neurophysiologist and biomimetic researcher.
- Samuel Stillman Berry (1887-1984), U.S. marine zoologist.
- Henry Bryant Bigelow (1879–1967), U.S. marine biologist.
- Rachel Carson (1907-1964) American Marine Biologist and Author.
- Ilham Artüz (1924-1993) Turkish Marine Biologist and Oceanographer
- Carl Chun (1852-1914), German marine biologist
- Jacques-Yves Cousteau (1910-1997), French marine biologist and explorer.
- Anton Dohrn (1840-1909), German marine biologist.
- Sylvia Earle (born 1935), American oceanographer.
- Johan Hjort, Norwegian marine zoologist and one of the founders of ICES.
- Bruno Hofer (1861-1916), German fisheries scientist.
- Hirohito, Japanese emperor.
- August David Krohn (1803–1891), Russian/German zoologist.
- William Elford Leach (1790-1836), English zoologist and marine biologist.
- Philip S. Lobel Professor, Boston University Marine Program
- Nicholai Miklukho-Maklai (1846-1888), Russian marine biologist and anthropologist.
- Sir John Murray (1841-1914), Scots- Canadian marine biologist.
- Harald Rosenthal (born 1937), German hydrobiologist known for his work in fish farming and ecology.
- Michael Sars (1809–1869), Norwegian theologian and biologist.
- Georg Sars (1837-1927), Norwegian marine biologist.
- Ruth Turner (1915-2000), marine biologist.
- Robert Paine Professor, emeritus University of Washington intertidal Ecologist
- Charles Wyville Thompson (1832-1882), Scottish marine biologist