Magnetic resonance (disambiguation)
Magnetic resonance (often abbreviated MR) is a common shorthand for Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and Electron Spin Resonance (ESR). Magnetic resonance is the basis for a number of spectroscopic and imaging techniques in the natural sciences, health sciences, materials sciences and engineering.
Specifically, magnetic resonance may refer to:
- Magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS): The use of electromagnetic radiation, in the presence of a magnetic field, to obtain information regarding transitions between different nuclear spin states of the nuclei present in the sample of interest.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI; technically an imaging subfield of MRS): The use of magnetic fields and electromagnetic radiation to visualize internal structures of non-magnetic objects non-destructively.
- Magnetic resonance tomography (MRT; technically a clinical subfield of MRI): Add brief definition or description
- Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI; technically a subfield of MRI): A neuroimaging technique used to monitor task-specific blood oxygenation, primarily in the brain.
- Magnetic resonance microscopy (MRM; technically a high-resolution subfield of MRI): The use of nuclear magnetic resonance to visualize structures smaller than the resolution limit of the human eye (i.e. below about 100 µm).