From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Macrophage, or pages that link to Macrophage or to this page or whose text .
- Immunity : Add brief definition or description
- Cell-mediated immunity : Add brief definition or description
- Leukocyte : Colourless cells of the immune system which defend the body against both infectious disease and foreign materials, and grouped into neutrophils, eosinophils, basophils, lymphocytes, and monocytes.
- Monocyte : Large, phagocytic mononuclear leukocytes produced in the vertebrate bone marrow and released into the blood; contain a large, oval or somewhat indented nucleus surrounded by voluminous cytoplasm and numerous organelles (Medical Subject Headings); they are the precursors of non-circulating macrophages
- Alveolar macrophage : Add brief definition or description
- Epitheloid cell : Add brief definition or description
- Giant cell : Multinucleated mass formed by the fusion of several distinct cells, usually in response to an infection or foreign body.
- Histiocyte : Macrophages found in connective tissue and bone marrow
- Kupffer cell : Add brief definition or description
- Osteoclast : A macrophage that has become part of bone, where it is involved in bone resorption
- Peritoneal macrophage : Add brief definition or description
- Tissue macrophage : Add brief definition or description
- Chronic inflammatory response : Add brief definition or description
- : According the Medical Subject Headings of the National Library of Medicine, the complement system is made up of a series of Serum glycoproteins that are part of the host defense mechanism of complement activation, which creates the "complement membrane attack complex"
- : "a network of biological membranes inside the cytoplasm of a cell, some of which may have ribosomes attached. "
- Immunoglobulin : Proteins produced by lymphocytes, which are primarily antibodies to attack material the body considers hostile, although some may act as cytokines, signaling to other cells
- Mannose : Add brief definition or description
- Phagocytosis : That part of immune response in which defensive cells such as neutrophils and macrophages surround and "digest" foreign particles