Local area network/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Local area network, or pages that link to Local area network or to this page or whose text .
- Locality of networks : The assumption, in networking technologies, about the characteristics of the user space they support, and, as importantly, the user spaces they should ignore
- Computer network : A collection of computers or digital devices ("nodes") connected by communication links.
- Computer networking media sharing protocols : Computer network protocols that mediate the access of multiple devices to a common physical medium; the data link layer in the Open Systems Interconnection Reference Model but part of the interface layer in the Internet Protocol Suite
- Data link protocol : Protocol and administrative convention to manage the interaction of two or more devices connected to a common physical medium
- IEEE Project 802 : The main standards body, with many working groups, that specifies technical standards for wired and wireless local area networks, with ranges up to tens of kilometers
- Ethernet : An early proprietary standard for local area networks developed by IEEE Project 802; the term has become generic for various connectors and communications techniques although the name of a standard would be more precise.
- Wireless local area network : A local area network, with a range in hundreds to thousands of meters, which transfers high-speed digital data without a direct physical connection between nodes on the network, usually by radio; the nodes are assumed to stay in one general area, as opposed to moving widely as in cellular telephony
- IEEE 802 address : In computer networking, an address that can be made unique for individual network interface cards or other physical medium interfaces
- IEEE 802.1 : Add brief definition or description
- IEEE 802.2 : Add brief definition or description
- IEEE 802.3 : The primary standards body for evolved Ethernet over physical media protocols
- IEEE 802.4 : Add brief definition or description
- IEEE 802.5 : Add brief definition or description
- IEEE 802.6 : Add brief definition or description
- IEEE 802.10 : Add brief definition or description
- IEEE 802.11 : Add brief definition or description
- IEEE 802.16 : Add brief definition or description
- IEEE 1394 : Also called FireWire, a standard interface between computers and peripherals
- MIL-STD-1553 : An extensively used interconnection standard among military electronics components, slow in comparison with local area networks but intended for simple command-response control in electrically noisy environments
- Address Resolution Protocol : TCP/IP protocol used to obtain a node's physical address.