Ku Klux Klan/Bibliography
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Newton, Michael, and Judy Ann Newton. The Ku Klux Klan: An Encyclopedia. (1991).
Alexander, Charles. “Kleagles and Cash.” 1965. The Business History Review. Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 348-367
- Chalmers, David. Hooded Americanism. (1987), an older survey
- Dray, Philip. At the Hands of Persons Unknown: The Lynching of Black America, 2002.
- Feldman, Glenn. Politics, Society, and the Klan in Alabama, 1915-1949. University of Alabama Press, Tuscaloosa, AL, 1999.
- Fryer, Jr. Roland G. and Steven D. Levitt. "Hatred and Profits: Getting under the Hood of the Ku Klux Klan," National Bureau of Economic Research, September 2007, abstract; full text online
- Glaeser, Edward L. “The Political Economy of Hatred.” Quarterly Journal of Economics. 2005. Vol. 120, No. 1, pp. 45-86.
- Goldberg, Robert Alan. Hooded Empire: The Ku Klux Klan in Colorado. 1981.
- Horn, Stanley F. Invisible Empire: The Story of the Ku Klux Klan, 1866-1871, (1939)
- Horn, born in 1889, was a Southern historian who was sympathetic to the first Klan, which, in a 1976 oral interview , he was careful to distinguish from the later "spurious Ku Klux organization which was in ill-repute—and, of course, had no connection whatsoever with the Klan of Reconstruction days."
- Jackson, Kenneth T. The Ku Klux Klan in the City, 1915-1930. (1992)
- MacLean, Nancy. Behind the Mask of Chivalry: The Making of the Second Ku Klux Klan. 1994.
- McVeigh, Rory. “Power Devaluation, the Ku Klux Klan, and the Democratic National Convention of 1924.” Sociological Forum 2001. 16(1):1-30.
- Moore, Leonard J. Citizen Klansmen: The Ku Klux Klan in Indiana, 1921-1928 Chapel Hill: U of North Carolina Press, 1991.
- Parsons, Elaine Frantz, "Midnight Rangers: Costume and Performance in the Reconstruction-Era Ku Klux Klan." The Journal of American History 92.3 (2005): 811-36. in History Cooperative
- Pegram, Thomas R. "Hoodwinked: The Anti-Saloon League and the Ku Klux Klan in 1920s Prohibition Enforcement." Journal of Gilded Age and Progressive era 7.1 (2008): online.
- Rhodes, James Ford. History of the United States from the Compromise of 1850 to the McKinley-Bryan Campaign of 1896. Volume: 7. (1920)
- Rogers, William; Ward, Robert; Atkins, Leah; and Flynt, Wayne. Alabama: The History of a Deep South State. (1994).
- Thompson, Jerry. My Life in the Klan, (1982) ISBN 0-399-12695-3.
- Trelease, Allen W. White Terror: The Ku Klux Klan Conspiracy and Southern Reconstruction (1995).
- Wade, Wyn Craig. The Fiery Cross: The Ku Klux Klan in America. (1987); a highly negative account of all three Klans, based on extensive research but not familiar with recent scholarship.